Is this a noteworthy Error 'Discovery'? Will it go anywhere?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Robert Scheschuk, Feb 6, 2016.

?

is this something special or just shrubbery?

1. Special

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Nothing Special

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Upon Searching through 2014-P Jefferson Nickel Rolls I came across a collection of these. This coin IS UNC+++, pulled straight from the roll.
    aaaaa.JPG ccccc.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Got a pic of the obverse? You're going to have to post it.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The reverse looks worn and polished. I can't see the obverse.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The coin does not look UNC to me. Did it come from a roll that was all 2014-P? Besides posting a photo of the obverse, can you take photos of this coin next to a normal 2014-P? Your first photos aren't the same size and the normal nickel was taken at an angle. The difference in perspective does make a difference.

Chris

6. Coins are MS state. That is one fact. I will take better photos, newer ones.

If you want to cheat, YouTube 2014-p nickel design error.

Otherwise, I figured we could discuss it here.

7. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

OP

Looks like the Distorted Reverse Die "Design Creep" Error to me.
    Not only a good find but a profitable one. IMHO

Cheers

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, "UNC+++" is meaningless other than to an eBay shyster. As for this youtube video, if it will factually describe what the anomaly is, why not just post it?

9. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Definitely noteworthy, and as Heater opined 'profitable'. Very good find for sure. :)

10. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I've been surprised at the limited interest in this "new" type discovery. I think they are neat and notable. I have Mike Diamonds CW article here, but have no idea about copyright etc, so I'm not posting it here.

It's not hard to run down and worth a read.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. I already know what I have. This is about if it's noteworthy amongst the community. "Coin talk" is what's going on. The article is public, "design creep coin world" will tell the specifics.

I'm just seeing if there is interest.

Highest Raw value paid: $45
    Anyone want to guess the how many were found after searching 32 rolls?
    Luck could not be any better! Article explains the luck.

12. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I'll guess - A Baker's Dozen

13. BooksB4Coins

I'm guessing this is the article of which you speak?

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2015/04/collectors-clearinghouse-design-creep.html

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. What should I say? I do not know how to grade coins and they will grade MS63 and higher. @BooksB4Coins

15. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Technically isn't there a difference between a blank and a planchet? A blank doesn't have a raised rim but a planchet does? Sure wish I could remember where I read that. Looks struck on a blank instead of a planchet. I guess it is cool in that respect.

16. The obverse has a rim. Sorry, at my job, will get photos up asap..... May be a bit :(

17. Mark Oliver

Found it. A blank does not become a planchet until it goes through the upsetting mill. The upsetting mill puts the rim on the blank turning it into a planchet. So without further evidence it is a nickel struck on a blank instead of a planchet.

18. @Mark Oliver be patient and view all evidence supplied. I can tell you didn't.

19. Mark Oliver

The upsetting mill raises a rim on both sides of the blank so if it has an obverse rim that is for somebody more experienced to answer.

20. Mark Oliver

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the devices would take on accelerated wear without rims absorbing a majority of the normal punishment.

21. BooksB4Coins

What do you mean you don't know what you "should say"? It's perfectly fine to post non-personal links here, so if that's not the one you were talking about (in my above post), please just post it.

Draft saved Draft deleted