Is This A Jeweler's Mark?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Dec 29, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Has anyone collecting these seen one that looks like the letter S spanning the upper and lower sashes of a double-hung window? Someone posted what I think is a George II halfpenny on a Facebook group within the past week with such a counterstamp. I'll probably never find the picture again, because that's just the way Facebook works, although I did comment on it, so it might be possible.

Edit: I actually found it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It may also be another Large cent, thought head is a little high. But there were numerous examples of off strike coins with these early issues.

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's interesting, messydesk. I haven't seen it before but my first impreession was it's an "SH". Some type of identifying mark for a product or manufacturer i'm sure. The difference here is it has a straight-edge depression and not a saw-toothed one.

Bruce

Marshall likes this.
  5. BRandM

Here's a couple of British cartwheels with primative stamps. The "W" also shows the center x-shape.

I've been investigating these a bit since this thread started but haven't come across anything that would tell us who made them. I'll have to contact a couple of my counterstamp buddies and see what they think.

Bruce MT_GW.jpg

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It has the general impression of a Liberty Cap 1793-1796. If it is a thin planchet, it would have a plain edge and weight ~ 168 grains (1795-1796.) If it were a thick edge, it would weigh ~ 208 grains and have a lettered edge (ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR ~) (1793-1795.)

But it would definitely be off center and high.

BRandM likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Once again, it does not appear that they ever crossed the M and this shows both letters on the same coin.

That leaves the question about why the centered period before the first letter on my coin.

I do wonder if they kept records of early brands like I know they did later.

8. BRandM

Here's one on a real unusual coin, one you never see with a counterstamp AD on 1787 Fugio Cent.jpg ... 1787Fugio Cent.

Bruce

GeorgeM, PlanoSteve and Marshall like this.
  9. BRandM

There are some records of English maker's marks, especially cutler's marks, but not any for this kind of counterstamp that I know of.

Bruce

Marshall likes this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It's interesting that I've been watching "Forged In Fire" on the history channel.

I've been thinking about the process used to produce these counterstamps. A blacksmith could create a die, inscribe the die, then harden it to produce an incused die stamp. A Standard Stamp would probably involve an extra step with a hardened incused die being used to produce a Standard die since that would be much easier than removing material around the image, though either could be done.

One problem in looking at these stamps is that they are often not aligned with the coin's surface or have a solid support leaving part of the image weak.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

As luck would have it, I found another Incused stamp example struck on a 1798 S-161.

AP.jpg
    The AP or AY is raised while extended with Graffiti which is incused. It is crude, but the strokes of the A cross.

It also raised the image without showing much disturbance in depressing the design around the image which is a bit of a head scratcher.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    ZoidMeister and BRandM like this.
  12. BRandM

I'm a little confused about your description, Marshall. You're saying that the letters are raised but don't appear to be in a depression of any sort? All I can make out from the picture are the raised initials "AP" but on a flat surface...no depression surrounding it.

Often on counterstamps that are imaged on a scanner rather than with a camera the incuse stamp appears raised because of the lighting. It's just a trick of the eye and may be the case on this one. This is the reason I never use a scanner for imaging counterstamps.

Bruce

13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

That image literally gave me a visceral reaction, and it weren't a good one . . . . .

Z

GeorgeM likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This is the way knife cuts appear. The metal raised from the cut eventually wears a little and covers the cut.

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'll let you know when it arrives. I've been fooled before on a scratch that looked like a new die break.

16. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

My gut reaction was a possible hacienda token from Mexico. Sure is a fun piece.

GeorgeM likes this.
  17. BRandM

So we'll be seeing it some time this summer then?:D Well, the mail isn't that slow.

Bruce

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It takes a week to get out of California or Washington St., but once it reaches Texas it's pretty quick. It's in Seattle right now.

The 1796 NC-2 (R7) I found took a week in the Greater LA area. When it finally made it to Texas, it took less than 12 hours to get through Dallas, Beaumont, Orange and to my mailbox. I'm waiting impatiently to find out if it's the tenth or eleventh known, depending on whether the Bird specimen in Noyes is a wrong photo or a wrong attribution.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted