Is this a gold or silver coin? ID help plz

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I have this Kushan Stater that weighs 7.5g and is 18mm long. It appears to have both gold and silver tint to it, but I don't see a silver type of these coins. I did a little research and found this coin on acsearch (see at the bottom), but some of the markings are different (namely the lower left on mine look like tripods.

I would love any more insight as to what I have please. Thanks for your help! PXL_20220731_193449946.jpg PXL_20220731_193516393.jpg

upload_2022-7-31_16-0-42.png

Struck7 and galba68 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The later Kushan staters can tend to be pretty debased in gold content. Perhaps your coin has a high percentage of silver in the alloy?

Struck7, galba68 and Xodus like this.
  4. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Late Kushan gold is often described as "pale" in the trade. One need look no further than their local jeweler to see that 20K (83%) gold can be white while 10K (42%) or even 8K (33%) gold can still be yellow. A search for "Kipunada" at acsearch yields 68 results showing the full range of color from yellow to brassy to white. Some may have been recently 'enhanced' to improve marketability. A few may be fakes, either ancient and modern. Most are surely genuine but I don't think these coins are fully understood at present. A specific gravity test would be informative.

Draft saved Draft deleted