Is This A Genuine Shekel of Tyre

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I have a customer offering me a few ancients and I want to run a couple of the better types past you guys. Thanks in advance for your valuable imput. 20191228_120730.jpg 20191228_120746.jpg 20191228_120754.jpg 20191228_120814.jpg

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like a seam on the edge. I am no expert though.

ominus1 likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Style and weight are correct

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..if it isn't..it's a very reasonable facimile thereof...:D..(but i'm c'n seems it seems...:watching:)

6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

My guess is Year 114, minted 13/12 BC, Ρ|∆, letter Bet between legs. As I said before, style an weight are correct. It appears genuine but the pictures are not very good.

7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Syrian tetradrachmas do come in at about 14 grams, especially those with the head of a Syrian monarch on them, including those minted in Tyre but those with say a Demetrius II on them were not considered to be the same shekel as the 30 pieces of silver coins. Those, with a similar looking Melcart were minted at a higher weight so if the question is,is this a Tyrian shekel of the thirty pieces, I don't think so, but a common Syrian tetradrachma it may be. Style and weight for that would be good.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

What higher weight do you believe Tyrian shekels should be?

9. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Sorry. For some reason I had thought that they were minted on the Attic standard and would weigh closer to 16-17 grams. Fourteen grams is the correct weight for these coins.

Nemo likes this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

no apology needed, it’s easy to mix up weight standards now and then :D

Draft saved Draft deleted