Is this a Genuine 1877 S Trade Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by iPen, Feb 15, 2017.

1. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I get what you are saying. I'm pretty sure a qr scan can get scanned as many times as people want, without getting cancelled. If it was in someone's registry set, you might want to contact that person to find out if they sold it without removing it from their registry, other than that there's no point to a serial number or bar code. It would just seem as though many people were buying and selling the same coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HappyHighway

HappyHighway Member

I guess we are going to have to get crazy and do things like learn our trade, become smarter about our interests and take pride in both the collection and our knowledge of our collection.

But since I can't just sit around and study Trade Dollars I am still going slabbed from a reputable source and learn from there.

I still have my fake though!!

4. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Fake coins have a collectability of their own, it's not a loss until you sell it for less than you paid for it, or drop it somewhere. Everyone learns the hard way sometimes, when your profits outweigh your losses, it's called success.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here is the problem, With your statement, I want Authentic examples of coinage in my collection. The only fakes I want are because I knew they were. Lets not cloud the thread with what you think is ok to you. Most of what folks Here buy, are meant to be in there collection, especially a trade Dollar. And most of us are gonna be straight forward on the sale, and receive a loss on our money. How can you say morally that a fake is worth more?

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

P&G, you can put anything you wish into your collection. My collection is about 50% fakes and 50% genuine coins. :jawdrop::facepalm:

Very simply, many of the counterfeits I have cost more/are worth more than the genuine pieces they imitate. Additionally, many advanced numismatists collect/study fakes - especially contemporary ones. To expand your horizons, check out what contemporary counterfeits bring in major auctions.

IMO, the only moral question arises when someone knowingly sells a fake to someone who does not know it is a fake. That's why you may have read someplace, "buyer beware." :shifty::D

7. HappyHighway

HappyHighway Member

That is essentially my point. I purchased a fake not knowing it was a fake. Though slabs can also be faked, I am more comfortable purchasing a slab from a reputable dealer than I am a raw if there is a higher probability of it being counterfeit. Call it what you will, but I didn't want a fake Trade and I got one, so I'm buying slabbed and cracking it out for my album.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This has got to be a small niche of folks that are willing to spend that much money, on a fake. But, I concede and Thank this group. Selling such a fake, would also require one to know what makes it a fake, and probably who made the fake, in that case I would rather buy one slabbed and leave the fakes to the experts.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Many fakes are inexpensive. Last year I purchased a collection of over a hundred for $400. They included U.S. and foreign. About twenty of the coins are really deceptive and they are the only ones I actually wanted. In the old days Junk boxes were full of lead cast Morgan, WL, and Barber coins that you could get for a quarter.

The problem with the deceptive fakes is someone paid big money for them at one time. Even one of those old 1909-S VDB cents with the "funny shape S" can get expensive. I've been trying to pry one of the State-of-the-Art 1795 Dollars that got slabbed a while back from a dealer who has two. No luck so far. He's into them for $$$$.

Counterfeits are very useful. Even the ANA has a collection they use for teaching.

10. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Real Au55 depending on the mark by her knee

Draft saved Draft deleted