Is this a doubled die or what?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin_nut, Nov 2, 2017.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

As you can see, this is a 1904 1 rupee. The letters on both obverse and reverse look very odd to me. I am pretty sure this is from the Calcutta mint and I have found no info about any such mint errors from there. The guy I bought it from told me it might be a quite valuable coin. 1904 India 1 r obv.JPG 1904 India 1 r rev.JPG Details-1.JPG Details-2.JPG Details-3.JPG Details-4.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Comparing yours to other 1904 Rupees, I see a number of inconsistencies (ignoring the lettering), that makes me think it's a fake.

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I know what the next question mill be in response to my reply, so see the attached.

But, I've really been looking and thinking about this coin. I think there is also the possibility that this is a genuine coin that was used by someone (jeweler's apprentice? or the like?) to practice their skills, maybe working in melted metals (silver?), or metal modeling. It looks like some of it was retooled to look fancier, some of it looks like additional metal was applied, and some of it, well... just looks wrong.

Maybe I have no idea....

Details-4.JPG

6. coin_nut

I was feeling that way too. Look at Edward's hair. I have never seen him with that sort of bald top and hair on the sides...and the big mustache.

7. coin_nut

Fortunately, I got it fairly cheaply and from a guy I know pretty well. Even if it is fake it is an interesting one. Has a real nice ring sound when dropped on the table just right, so I am pretty sure it is silver.
    I just checked Numista and it should be 11.66 grams and 30.6mm diameter. Mine is 11.4 grams and 30.78mm/1.212" diameter. Looking more like fake all the time...

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I also think it's a fake. There's a lot porosity on the obverse that could indicate casting. Check the edges for any seams or filing marks for confirmation

9. coin_nut

Heck, I no longer have any doubt about it being fake. I am not upset at all, just a bit amazed that I did not realize it from the get go. Good lesson for me. Think I will keep the rascal, it already has a tag saying "Fake" in the album.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

In some areas of numismatics, such as Spanish colonial silver and 18th-early 19th century English copper, there are collectors who specialize in contemporary counterfeits, and some can be valuable. I don't know if your coin is a contemporary or modern forgery, but if it's contemporary, then it may be an interesting addition to your collection

coin_nut likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Crude, but fascinating. I'd be pretty pleased to come across such a piece. :)

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very cool though. What does it weigh and does it "ring" like silver?

13. coin_nut

11.4 gm and has a nice ring to it. I now think it is what they call a "contemporary fake", or a counterfeit made and circulated back in those days. I really appreciate all the good ideas and input this post has brought forward. All of us together are smarter than any one of us alone.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted