Is this a dirty 1964 D proof?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by EatYourWheatPennies, Feb 6, 2019.

1. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

The back doesn't show it, the camera might not show the difference but Lincoln is less shiny than the background. IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1965.JPG IMG_1966.JPG IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1968.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a very nice circulation strike. Not a proof.

4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

In 1964 proofs were struck in Philadelphia and so don't have a mint mark. D is for the Denver mint.

5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Only one small problem with being a proof....the D mint mark.

6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

The mint had a lot of issues in 1964-66 and in 1965 and (I think maybe 66) they also minted coins with the 64 date on it. Some of the dies were taken from old retired proof dies and used to strike circulation strikes, giving some a PL effect. Can't say if this is on this one but still, an intereting story.

7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

There were no proofs minted in 65 or 66 and I thought that proof planchets were specially prepared and polished as were the dies that struck the coins...

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Proof is a method of manufacture and so the best it could be is Proof Like (PL). I am no expert and could be wrong but I don't recall seeing PL designation for LMCs.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  9. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Yes, some have a prooflike appearance, though it would be difficult to get a TPG to attribute it as so unless particularly strong. They used 1964 retired dies, but used it for business strikes, so they did not quite carry the same luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted