Is this a die crack?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Matthew Peak, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Is this a die crack, lamination error, or some kind of plating issue? I see some kind of phantom W above the date and a lime extending north towards the T in trust. 20161015_200448_Burst01.jpg 20161015_200506_Burst01.jpg 20161015_200420_Burst01.jpg 20161015_200448_Burst01.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yes - on Obverse - minimal die crack!!
    Must of been end of copper cent dies before they switched over to the Zinc planchets!!

Matthew Peak likes this.
  4. Markus1959

You also have a 82 Large date! Very common

5. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

This is actually a zinc LMC. 2.5g

6. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

There also appears to be one under the "B" in liberty extending south.

7. Markus1959

Yes - Zincolns are 2.5
    Wonder why , though, Zinc is so soft but yet I find so many die cracks from the copper coated Zinc CENTS

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The production of the Zincoln is one of the dumbest moves ever. The copper surface tends to bubble and deteriorate very easily.

You know, if you look at a coin long enough, you might see all kinds of things on it. One person even spotted the Holy Grail.

Chris

paddyman98 and Matthew Peak like this.
  9. Markus1959

And moves by producers of coins were ever smart? As the Shield cents SUCK, This is pretty much all I can say withoooout getting political!!

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I do believe we're looking at a plating issue as opposed to a die crack. Clearer photos would helpful.

It's okay... just put a little disclaimer, making it clear you know you're breaking the rules, and then demand no one acknowledge it. ;)

Seriously though... have you ever compared the deity's bust on the new shield cents to what was used previously? If not, do take a look.... not that it'll change your mind or anything, but will help show how utterly disgraceful (even for a disgrace, which should say a lot) the previous effigy had become. While it may not be obvious to some, the design mutated over time into become what was really nothing more than a cartoon character (which is ironic if you think about it...).

If I recall correctly, the intent was to return to the original 1909 design even though, if true, they failed miserably.

Matthew Peak likes this.
  11. Markus1959

1st pic, right side, coin field, looks like a crack - that's what I was going with!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Plating issue. the only time it can be a crack in the field is to go from one device to the next. unless it is on the device, then it can be more or, less retained.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:phantom: This W?
    It's something but nothing.
    Looks like your Cent has been places, most likely a stain :yuck:
    W.JPG

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

When contemplating Zlincolns, the default opinion for any surface anomaly is to assume it's related to the plating, and then seek convincing evidence to the contrary. I don't see enough "convincing" evidence here to think a crack sprung up in the middle of a field, where stresses are an order of magnitude less than adjacent to devices, see Pickin's remark. Die cracks start at areas of heightened stress.

I see no die crack here.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes, that's what I was addressing as well. No harm; just trying to clarify and help.

If you take a look at other areas on the obv, you'll see similar albeit smaller issues (below BE in LIBERTY as an example) suggesting that what we are looking at is plating issues. Many times I've mentioned to those looking through cents dated 1981-82 (LD) for doubled dies that they're tough due to the design and generally low quality. The same can be said for early plated cents as well; due to the low quality, plating issues can present themselves in many different ways that can take on the appearance of being something else. Again, no harm, but just passing along what I see.

16. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Thanks guys for all your help. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks to CT, I can bundle up all of your alls collective knowledge and stick in my pocket. And a lot of great minds are just a click away. It's changed my perception, in regards to coins, to some degree. And this comment is not limited to the 3 or 4 people I'm replying to now....there are others who've been super nice and patient with me. Thanks all!

Draft saved Draft deleted