Is this a 'Details' coin ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Consider please the edge taps, and what are, in my opinion (and also described as such in the catalogue), adjustment marks.

The coin shows very nice in-hand, with a nice pewter patina and some very minor residual luster. In my opinion, (and that of the Stacks catalog) not cleaned.

It is by the way an O-102.

Thanks!

1801 Half Dollar O-102 - OBV - VGP !! - 1.jpg 1801 Half Dollar O-102 - REV - VGP !! - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are you asking about the tiny little rim bumps visible on the reverse?

Perfectly acceptable on a circulated coin like this - these are nowhere near bad enough to make it a details coin.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coin all around!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes, thank you!
    I was referring to the small bumps on the reverse, but also small taps between 3:00 and 6:00, plus slight edge 'roughness' on the top of the obverse.

capthank and okbustchaser like this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see mint made adjustment marks. A few tiny reverse dings that are totally acceptable likely an ancient dip it’s recovered nicely from and a great coin of a really tough date I grade xf 45

YoloBagels, Robert Ransom and Eduard like this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The only thing that would concern me (and a TPG) would be the scratches on the obverse.
    The question would be, "Are they normal wear or Mint adjustment marks?"

capthank, Sunflower_Coins and Eduard like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Is this a 'Details' coin ?

In my opinion - no.

Mainebill, micbraun, Kentucky and 7 others like this.
  9. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

I also agree this coin would likely not get a “details” grade. It looks nice!

capthank, Morgandude11 and Eduard like this.
  10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Good looking coin. At that age, a few nicks could be expected and pardoned.

capthank, Morgandude11 and Eduard like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't see it as a details coin.

Eduard likes this.
  12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I agree with Mainebill's comments. Should straight grade if submitted.

Eduard likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It might come back as a "details" grade coin, but not because of the minor rim issues. I don't care for the color, especially above the eagle's head, and to a lesser extent in front of Ms. Liberty's face. Those areas look like they have been cleaned to me.

Dynoking and capthank like this.
  14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it would grade straight. Not a details coin. It is a beautiful example of its type, and has great eye appeal. I would guess it would grade as XF 40-45.

Eduard likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Considering the age of the coin and the uneven coloration, I believe it was cleaned in the distant past, but I think it would straight grade.

Eduard likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I too believe the coin had an older cleaning and is retoning, but the (adjustment) marks across the obverse might be a problem. I think it would depend on who you got it graded by.

capthank and Eduard like this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No TPG will call adjustment marks a problem - they were a part of the coin-making process.

I personally don't prefer the look and would pay less for a heavily adjusted coin, but adjustment marks will not affect the grade.

Eduard likes this.
  18. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

This coin should straight-grade. The adjustment marks are just that and not a cause for rejection since they are mint-made. The rim bumps are acceptable for the grade. Has it been cleaned? It is almost certain that it has been cleaned since it is received wisdom that 80% or more of old silver has been. An old cleaning that was not harsh or improper and where the coin has had time to retone naturally will not be cause for a details grade. This coin meets that criteria.

This is a nice coin, IMO and if you are so inclined you shouldn't hesitate to submit it to the TPGs. Would it CAC? Maybe not or probably not, depending upon what grade it got from the TPG.

capthank and Eduard like this.
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Regarding the marks on the obverse. Stacks called them adjustment marks if I recall (sale was in 1988). I think these are indeed adjustment marks, as opossed to random scratches since they run parallel, as is typical.

johnmilton likes this.
  20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Adjustment don't affect the grade, but they do affect the value. I once saw an early U.S. gold coin that was an AU, but it had heavy adjustment marks. The coin was marked well below the current market for the grade, but was still a bear to sell. This was back in the days were coin shows were more important to the market than they are now.

This 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar is a no problem, original surface coin except that it has adjustment marks. I never minded them, but the coin was not easy to sell when the time came.

1795 Flow Dol O.jpg 1795 Flow Dol R.jpg

Dynoking, fiddlehead and capthank like this.
  21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If those are just adjustment marks they sure caught my eye immediately. In my opinion they do not run completely parallel to one another. I agree with GDJMSP "NO" to details. No comment on grade sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted