Is this a DDR?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Newbee1953, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Newbee1953

Newbee1953 New Member

Can I believe in this one 1983 DDR ? Cherry picked this one out of a role of 50 from the local bank..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

4. Newbee1953

Newbee1953 New Member

II Would Like To Say It Looks More Like The 002 but it kind of seems to be between them.

Attached Files:

5. Newbee1953

Newbee1953 New Member

What is the best way to clean penny's to get the black crud between the dates and lettering off so that you can notice more of the stuff. I have been washing some if I can't read the date with the vinegar salt mix but some say that is not the best because it basically acid washes them. Is there a better way? Warm soapy water and a toothbrush or anything else?

6. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Olive oil, soak it for month or so. microfiber pat, will not affect the patina, acid damages the coin, and collectors can see that! unless you are wishing to keep forever, i wouldnt go the acid rout.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. Pickin and Grinin

Good conclusion, I think it is what Treashunt says, MD or mechanical doubling,.
    It doesn't look like either Doubled Die posted above.

9. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

http://doubleddie.com/828823.html

add 10 more and a common working hub "doubled die".

I can't see enough from your images to consider trying to match it to any of them, although it is likely WWHO-001.

I don't see it being either of the two at Variety Vista.

10. Ordinary Fool

I don't believe his pictures are good enough to actually determine MD, which the poor pictures suggest it most likely isn't, or that it is WWHO, which the poor pictures suggest are more likely.

I'm not going to say why I don't think it is MD other than you may not actually be looking and the people that continually post poor pix seemed to have possibly trained several.

11. Pickin and Grinin

WWho-001 is a doubled working hub obverse, WDDO-002 Thru WDDO-010 are all obverse. These don't fit the OP's question.
    I did see that Wexler has a third DDR in his list, but it doesn't fit that one either.

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  12. Ordinary Fool

Reasonably clever catch and it probably is MD. :hilarious: Too bad about the marginal pix.

Good thing I'm not on the payroll or I'd have to be drafting arguments why I'm right and why any board members objecting to my antics should be terminated after a tarring and feathering. ;-)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. RickO

RickO Active Member

Machine doubling.. use acetone to clean it.. will not harm metal.

14. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Gotta make sure that the acetone doesn't have any extra stuff like bitterant so people don't drink it.

Draft saved Draft deleted