Is this a dd mint D over P?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Nathanm13, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I believe what your are seeing there is caused by a worn die. This is actually a very common occurrence on Zincolns. Most new collectors mistake this for a Doubled Die. But alas it isn't. Keep up the search!

There is nothing on this particular coins that makes me think error.

4. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

5. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

That's what I originally though because I read something about ghosting and that's what they were referring too. Thanks again

6. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

IMG_1560.JPG
    Check this out. Things can appear like they are doubled. But they aren't. This is damaged die. Probably showing doubling due to the fact of deterioration. What you have is not doubling.

7. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

That's crazy it will probably take me a minute to figure out what the real dd are. I know the key dates but having found any so far. Not any of the well-known ones anyways

8. Tyler Graton

IMG_1759.JPG
    Believe it or not but that is the 8 stamped over again on the 3.

9. Tyler Graton

There are so many different types of doubling too.
    What I usually do is sit down, take time and compare images with wexlers. There is also varietyvista. And many other sites. But it's much easier when you can compare with images that have details that you can look for. Its much like DNA work haha getting the exact match

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just to confirm... It's just a plating issue. A small plating bubble that can turn into Zinc Rot as mentioned on another post.
    I want to share this webpage with you - http://www.error-ref.com/zinc-deterioration-on-lincoln-cents/

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Er, what? o_O... Tyler, stick to the coin in question. You are like all over the place :meh:

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh, c'mon! It's a heck of a lot better than "baby daddy" & "baby mama". I think the Fonz would agree.

Why did the chick cross the road? Because Walmart was having a sale on cell phones.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Tyler Graton

I was trying to say that there are many examples of what can look like doubling. He thought it was doubled lol. I showed him my example of what looks like doubling and i thought he understood lol then I showed him a doubled die for the date on 83 D

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do not believe that at all, Just another issue of plating bubbles. As date numbers are engraved into the dies. Only the mintmarks are stamped into the dies. [pre-92]
    What you are saying is that a 1988 date was made in 1983 and then corrected to 1983.

15. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

Absolutely not. The bubbles are from a separation of copper plating and zinc core. "P" mintmarks on Lincoln Cents didn't happen until 2017.

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think its transmintual. Me being cute

Draft saved Draft deleted