Is this a dd mint D over P?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Nathanm13, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

I'm new to all this just started getting into error coins about 2 month ago. I came across this D mint on top to what appears as a P. The real concern is the P mints didn't put P mint marks on the Lincoln penny till this year. So what is it?https://photos.app.goo.gl/xhmeCVtFD4Yjd3y93

ACoinJob likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Do you have a 10x loupe? The photo is too pixelated to tell what is going on. My first guess is always zinc rot, but I'd like to see better pictures first. Also, you can post photos directly here.

4. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

5. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

I know nothing about technology how do i find its url? Or do I upload a file

6. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

7. Seattlite86

8. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

No my chick took the picture for me on her phone

9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Nathanm!!!

Looks like it could be a conveniently place gas bubble.

I trimmed and scaled up your photo...hope you don't mind 20170717_003403.jpg

Tried trimming to just date and MM, but it came out to small and too fuzzy when scaled up.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

I don't know if it was intentional, but your description of the person who took the photos for you seem a little on the demeaning/possessive side. Maybe in the future, you could call her your "girlfriend" or something that conveys a little more respect and connection with her. I'm afraid I can't help you any further if you're unable to take your own photos. If you're ehh... friend wants to join CT, I'm happy to walk her through taking better photos.

11. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

12. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

Thank you for the help.

13. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

In 1983 the P wasn't on a penny so that's impossible. It didn't go on a penny till 2017. Just saying haha

14. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

I think if you took two seconds to read the description you would know that I know that

15. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

Also heard about the term ghosting in coin talk and think that might have something to do with it

16. Tyler Graton

Oh, well my defense is if you had taken the time to post pictures without a distracting link I maybe would have noticed there was a description. My bad thou

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You have a 1983 D cent with small bracks in the plating around the mintmark that have allowed moisture and air to get in. It now has a cse of zinc rot going on underneath the plating. That the rot under the D looks something like a P is merely coincidental.

18. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

Awesome thanks for letting me know. I probably would have kept it in my collection thinking it was some type of mint mark error forever. i'll learn and get better over time. Thanks everyone really do appreciate it.

19. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

This looks like the 9 and if it was turned it would look for like a d and be in the right spot

Attached Files:

20. Tyler Graton

Zinc rot :)

21. Nathanm13

Nathanm13 New Member

I can also see the 8 and the 3

Draft saved Draft deleted