Is this a CUD? 1958 Benjamin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RIchard Abanes, Feb 6, 2021.

1. hey all,

Continue as a newbie to look thru the few coins I have acquired. Is this a teeny-tiny "cud," up by the rim of this 1958 Benjamin? The tiny bubble comes right from the rim into what I think SHOULD be blank space. If it is indeed a cud, what does that do to the value? Also, I've included a pic of "E Pluribus Unum," which to me looks unusually messy, especially the P-L. Is this just PMD?
    Thanks!

1958_Bennie_Cud.jpg

1958_Words.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I think yes, but @paddyman98 will probably correct me, however, talk about deteriorated die, holy smokers, this one is ready for the scrapheap, IMO.

4. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

I agree on the E Pluribus Unum being PMD, very messy indeed!

Is the mark raised or incuse above the T?

If raised then indicative of a die break beginning, if Incuse it presents an interesting scenario, as it there has not been any apparent movement of metal that would indicate PMD.

One of the possible alternatives then is a small piece of debris was on the die and the coin was struck through that piece of debris.

It always helps if you post full obverse and reverse pictures of a coin when asking questions as there are potentially 'tells' that help diagnose what is happening.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Show the entire Obverse and Reverse.. and the edge of the area in question.
    I don't think that's a Die Break yet.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

7. Ok, here are more pics from different angles and varying lighting. The little blob above the T is DEFINITELY raised. It looks sorta like.... as if a tiny drip of paint was dapped into that space. Does that make sense?
    01_58ben.jpg 02_58ben.jpg 03_58ben.jpg 04_58ben.jpg 05_58ben.jpg 1958_Bennie_Cud.jpg 1958 Ben Reverse.jpg

8. Another four shots from different angle with different lighting Ben1958_1.jpg

9. This documented one, which found on the above-linked website linked about documented CUD errors, is kinda what mine looks like—except mine is over the T and doesn't QUITE blend into the letter as drasitically as this one does with the U. IMG_9258.jpg

10. Robert Ransom

There appears to be a hit to the edge of the coin, but not enough, IMO, to cause a raised effect to the coin. @paddyman98 requested a pic. of the reeded edge of the coin (photo of the reeds).

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

12. Yes, there is a hit. But it doesn't seem connected. The raised blop is truly like a little fill of paint, or leaked silver from the edge. That's the best way I can describe it in my newbie way.

13. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

So, based on the piece being raised and seemingly not part of the hit on the rim of the coin, I go with my initial comment of being the beginning of the die break down, so die chip/pre cud, becoming a cud if the die was continued to be used for any period of time and the die breaks down further.

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  14. Is the determining difference between a "die chip" vs a true "cud" simply the size of the blob? And regarding die chips, apparently like mine, does that count as an "error" and dies it do anything to the value of the coin?

15. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

To the purists a Cud always involves the rim, this doesn't quite fit that, imo, which is why I called it a pre-cud. But with further deterioration of the die it would definitely connect fully with the rim and become a cud.

Evan Saltis and RIchard Abanes like this.
  16. Ahhhh yes, I see, it appears to be raised and up TO the rim, but just missing actual conjoining with the rims true edge to form like.... a.... as if it ws an even painted over surface with the rim. Is this right? Any value added???

17. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Lueds above hit it on the head.
    Not quite cud worthy yet, but later on I could see it becoming one

18. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

This particular die chip is so insignificant, I'd highly doubt it would add any premium, BUT having said that some collectors like to get die cracks in each stage as they develop to put together a picture of the progression of die breakdown, and therefore may be willing to part with a few extra cents to obtain it for their collection.

Your coin would be a very early die state, would be interesting to see if others collect the different stages and how that die progressively failed.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks more like the rim took a small hit in that area and forced metal onto the field.

20. Robert Ransom

Just received my new scope and would love to have the coin so I could blow it up, up, up. @furryfrog02

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Grab any ole' coin and give it a shot. Let's see how it works for you :)

Draft saved Draft deleted