Is this a common occurrence on Kennedy Halfs?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Feb 8, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

1982 p. The profile from the eye all the way down under the chin has doubling, also something else that looks off is the ear the ne part of it has 3 lines that dont look like normal hair lines for a Kennedy. Is this a form of machine doubling, strike doubling or something else?

Attached Files:

• 821.jpg
      821.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 822.jpg
      822.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 823.jpg
      823.jpg
      File size:
      981.2 KB
      Views:
    • 824.jpg
      824.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 825.jpg
      825.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 826.jpg
      826.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 827.jpg
      827.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 828.jpg
      828.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 829.jpg
      829.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

I did some researching and came across the term hot lips variety. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like it. The doubling doesn't look flat and shelf like so I'm hoping its the real deal and if it is it will be my first Kennedy doubled die. Here's to hoping

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's a thread that Ken Potter started on you coin ..
    http://www.coincommunity.com/FORUM/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=229173

eric6794 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

What you are showing on the profile looks flat and shelf like to me...that and what you see on the reverse I believe to be MDD.
    Larry Nienaber

6. eric6794

Here is a couple more photo's of the lips area one with just normal lighting, I really dont think its shelf like lips1.jpg lips2.jpg

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Eric, please don't use the "Hot Lips" moniker for this coin. Even Ken Potter, in his post that Rick linked for us, admits that he used it only to get people to read on. The term "Hot Lips" was first used for the 1888-O VAM-4 Morgan dollar long before this Kennedy was ever produced.

That being said, the doubling of the Kennedy profile does appear to have some merit. Below is my photo of a 1966 SMS Kennedy, FS-105.

Chris

The scratches are on the case, not the coin.
    1530495-1966SMS50cPROFILE[1].jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think the obverse shows a DDO and the reverse is absolutely MD. Nice find. Too bad it wasn't in better condition though..

eric6794 likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I was on coneca site earlier this morning, to see if Ken ever got his registered with coneca and it doesn't seem to be ..

10. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

In your new photos there is obviously shelf like doubling on the upper and lower lips, and below. You most likely will see it on the eye as well. The obverse die took a bounce during production, very common. This is MDD (Machine Damage Doubling).
    Larry Nienaber

11. eric6794

ty this the first doubled die Kennedy I have found so ill take it even though its not in the best of condition

12. eric6794

ok I'll refrain from the "hot lips" term and call it profile doubling. Did you have yours attributed?

13. eric6794

There isnt really much going on with the eye. Look at the link Rick posted above there is 2 photos side by side that shows machine and true doubling. Mine looks just like the true doubling

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't feel it's worth enough of a premium to have it submitted for grading and attribution. Granted, I could probably submit it to ANACS for less, but it would probably sell for less if I chose to get rid of it.

Your coin is DEFINITELY not worth grading.

Chris

eric6794 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted