Is This a Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Apr 27, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I found this metal detecting today and am wondering if this is an old broken coin. I'm thinking it could be a colonial copper coin of some sort.

Copper and size of King George III Halfpenny, found at site that has produced coins from the 1600's

The "coin" is covered in olive oil in this photo, like most dug coppers coins, it has suffered severe corrosion.

Is this a coin or a piece of random copper?
    20150427_190942.jpg 20150427_190950.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

my answer: not any more :p It does have the round shape of a coin though, did you put down weight and dimensions?

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I think it will take several weeks of soaking to know.

5. augie b

augie b Member

That olive oil is no longer VIRGIN..lol

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. coinman1234

It has a pretty nice found shape but it feels like a potato chip considering the wavy feeling it has, I'm guessing it probably got hit by a plow many years ago. I do not have a scale but it is pretty dense copper, and like I said before, it is the same size as any Colonial Halfpennies which is 28.15 mm.

It's sad how bad those coppers get destroyed underground.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

From it's shape, I would say button.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

a lump of something.

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. coinman1234

I don't see any evidence of a shank so not sure if it's a button, it could have came off in certain way though. I was told by some people it could be a jetton, what do you think?

10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Knowing where you got it might help. Did you find other coins there? Is there history there? Etc

11. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It's more than likely a bronze buckle piece, probably off a horse harness. Similar to this. images.jpeg

12. coinman1234

Yes, I have found colonial and relics dating back to the late 1600's, the day before I found my first Half Reale. I have found coppers including William III.

After some more soaking I'm seeing parts of a design. There are two tiny parallel lines in one area around a centimeter away from the edge. I'm seeing what looks like more too.

13. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

May still prove to be a jeton, as someone speculated, as they can be the same size and weight and material of many coins.

14. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

button , coin . horse chit .. why waste the time and effort .. might be worth half a cent

15. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

satisfying one's curiosity is always worth the effort

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted