Is this a Close AM 1999 Penny?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RobRobyn, Sep 3, 2015.

1. RobRobyn

RobRobyn Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yep. Close AM.
    Can't tell if it's a '99, though.

ThinnPikkins and dwhiz like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yup. Normal close AM.

5. RobRobyn

RobRobyn Member

It's a 1999, and I got confused, Is the AM Wider than the rest of the word "AMERICA", and do you think the A & M are touching, in other words, is it the "good one"?

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Most definitely!

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is a CAM which is the normal reverse for 1999. The rare one is the wide AM.

9. RobRobyn

RobRobyn Member

Thanks all for the clarification!

10. RobRobyn

RobRobyn Member

Is this the right one....a Wide AM for a 1999-S? SingleShot0010.jpg SingleShot0005.jpg Capture.JPG

11. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

No, with the S mint mark you want close AM. Confusing, huh? lol

Here is what you want to look for:

1. 1992 Close AM - extremely rare
    2. 1992-D Close AM
    3. 1998 S Close AM
    4. 1999 S Close AM
    5. 1999 Wide AM
    6. 1998 Wide AM
    7. 2000 Wide AM - least rare

Jdiablo30 and recyclemonster like this.
  12. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

wide am means the separation of the a and m in America. S pennies are nothing of the 1998-2000 value. if you have the 1992 close am very good for you. I am wondering the value of the 1999 wide am I went through almost 10k worth of pennies to find is even one that is in au condition. Ive held onto this variety for a while and am wondering should I keep holding onto it?

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You can send it to me if you want! LOL

1999 WAM is a rare coin. I search a ton of coins and have found 2 over many years of searching. You were very fortunate to find one out of 10k coins. I had one of my slabbed by NGC as MS-65 and sold it for $550.

14. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I actually have found 4 in the past 8 years ive looked, the first I sold on ebay unslabbed in circulated condition for 250 bucks but that was back when it was a little more popular now it seems like I see them but they never sell anymore. I called Ken Potters office and he said he wasnt buying Die varieties anymore :( so I will probably hold on to the 3 I have left and pray the population stays low. I have also found 4 98's but only one 2000 which is weird lol. Best of luck in finding some more BadThad.

15. 1999

1999 New Member

I don’t know if mine is a 1999 s close AM or a 1999 d close AM. Mine does not have a mint mark, is there anyway to tell the difference?

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

S is a proof from San Francisco, D is a Denver coin and with no mint mark it was minted in Philadelphia.

Draft saved Draft deleted