Is this a 50 year old impaired proof?!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by a_squuared, Mar 16, 2018.

1. a_squuared

a_squuared Member

Compared to 4 other (all circulated) 1969 P dimes.....is the bottom middle one an impaired proof? Opinions please... I included a close up picture as well.....thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Looks like an average well circulated dime to me. What makes you think it could be a proof?

4. robec

robec Junior Member

It sure doesn't look proof to me. Can you show the obverse?

5. a_squuared

a_squuared Member

It's just deeply struck, devices are higher and slightly bigger, entire fields are still reflective, rims are more squared, portrait looks slightly cameo'd, and there's close to no damage on any of the devices.... just looks kind of proofish to me....

6. BooksB4Coins

I think you're seeing what you want to, sir.

a_squuared likes this.
  7. a_squuared

a_squuared Member

That's extremely possible. Thank you for your input, Books...

8. BooksB4Coins

Thanks for not taking it as an insult. Lots of folks in this hobby see what they want to and/or simply misinterpret it, so they key is learning to look beyond it. Are you familiar with "pareidolia"?

9. SPC CENTS

SPC CENTS Hammering slabs

Modern proof coins, which includes 1969 dimes, will have mirrored fields due to extensive die polishing. The fields on your coin appear to be dirty and non-reflective. Perhaps its' just the images, but I think the items you pointed out are due to circulation cameo.

a_squuared likes this.
  10. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

It would need to be an S mint to be proof in 1969. Is it an S?

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I doubt it.

Remember: Proof is a manufacturing method

Proof-like is a condition

Impaired proof is manufactured as a proof but has (circulation) wear, so grades less than 60.

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

All Business Strike Dies have a first strike and a last strike. I am sure those two coins look quite different. Just saying your coin may have been struck with Fresh Dies, Like Stage A. In the variaty side of collecting they are have Die Stages Listed. Stage A, B, C, D.
    Struck with Early Stage Die, is another way of putting it.

13. robec

robec Junior Member

Please show a photo of the obverse.

There is nothing about the reverse that shows proof characteristics. The rims are beveled, not squared and the fields aren’t mirror like.

Draft saved Draft deleted