Is this a 2009 double thumb Lincoln penny??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by stonehenge, Jan 20, 2018.

1. stonehenge

stonehenge New Member

I found this earlier today and noticed he had a hang nail at the tip of his left thumb. Is this a decent find?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I can't see from the pic that you provided
    Need full pic of both sides, and a close up of the area.
    By the way welcome to CT
    Dave

4. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Hello Stonehenge and welcome to CT. The images are rough but I do see the tell-tail flat fat left forefinger. Need better images like Dave said. Check out doubleddie.com every variety for your coin is clearly pictured. Hope this helps. Reed

B4204273-B221-4F31-AB7E-E5D7038C5B33.png

5. stonehenge

stonehenge New Member

Thanks for the information! I'll see if I can get my phone to cooperate with me and post a few more pictures.
    I did look at each one of those varieties and didn't spot one quite like this.
    I am new to coins, but always super exciting to see something "not quite right"

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hey, in the future, it helps to post photos as full images. It lets us zoom in a little more on them. I recommend using a 10x loupe in front of the camera of your phone. As long as you have good lighting, you'll get some great results without having to digitally zoom in and pixelate the photo.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I think it's a plating issue near the thumb.
    Plating bubble.

8. stonehenge

stonehenge New Member

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Although generally a wise idea, in many cases a 2009 DDR can be identified by just a reverse photo.

OP,

Although I still cannot clearly see the anomaly in question, there are nowhere near as many 09-D varieties as compared to the Philly mint. A quick scan through Wexler's listings doesn't suggest there are any known to him that match your written description. Still, the link is below if you'd like to check for yourself. Good luck!

http://doubleddie.com/293022.html

stonehenge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted