Is this a 1990 no S proof ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Martha Lynn, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

You folks are quite good teachers. In my effort to be funny, I was referring to MYSELF as the dumb*** teacher. Hope all understood that.

Chuck_A likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Those are some good Pics Martha Lynn.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1990 no S proof only came in proof sets. Most of them had the S, and I
    believe only 400 were no S. Someone would have to crack open the set, and spend the coins for you to find a no S cent in circulation. Which is possible, but highly unlikely. It is possible to find proof coins in circulation, but those numbers are much greater than the amount of 1990 no S which were produced, and most (almost all)
    are probably accounted for. Sure there may be 1 out there. But it's the same as finding a 1982-D small date copper. You literally have 1 (possible) coin intermixed with billions of others. Yes, someone may find one some day. But it is unlikely to be you or I. That's just the math.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You'd better hope they do! ~ Chris :happy:

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Buy an inexpensive proof cent sometime. (If I had any lying around, I'd send you one, but I don't. You can get one for a buck or two.)

Compare the proof coin to even the nicest business strike cent you can find in your change. The difference will be immediately apparent. Once you've seen the depth of the mirrors on a modern proof, and the really squared-off edges, you'll not have that problem noticing the difference anymore.

The mirrors are totally different than the lustrous fields on a brilliant business strike, and also different from a polished coin.

Like many things in this hobby, it's just a matter of experience- once you've seen something a few times, you can learn to easily recognize it, is all.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm still laughing.

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

It would be "you or me." Anyway, to find one, you have a better chance of getting into heaven. Best of luck.

9. LuckyCoin

LuckyCoin HappyHunting

We all have many things to learn and asking questions always is the best thing to do. Remember if your new to coin collecting get ur Red book it helps alot and shows pics. There are many very knowledgable people who are willing to share there opinions and will do it with out criticism. I do love that coin tho very nice Philly hope you kept it...HappyHunting

Collecting Nut likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I debated whether to use you or me. It was very early in the AM for me.
    But it was easier to use You and I, than to decipher this:
    'You' is used whether the noun being replaced is the subject of the sentence, doing the action, or the object, having the action done to it. But 'I' is a subjective pronoun which is used only when the noun being replaced is the subject while 'me' is an objective pronoun used when the noun is an object.

I made that post not to pick on the OP. People are CONSTANTLY showing photos of 1969-S cent, 1970-S cent, 1990 no mm cent, 1982-D and asking: Is this the one?
    Am I rich? When there are TONS of photos and text online and on this site to explain this exact thing that they are asking. I am not saying the OP is lazy, but most of these other people are and they expect answers like this site is the information center for their tiny brains and lazy minds.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, cleanly squared I get, but what exactly is "wire edged"

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wire edged (knife like) with the squared off rim.....You could slice bread with it. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  13. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

There have been plenty of photos, but here is the 1990 business strike compared to the 1990-S proof. It’s a good way to compare the sharpness of the rims, as well as the general preparation of the coin and the quality of the strike.

01c 1990 full 04.jpg 01c 1990-S PF #02 full 01.jpg

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted