Is This A 1983P-1DO-015?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kbabyjohnson01, Aug 18, 2013.

1. kbabyjohnson01

kbabyjohnson01 40 Years Cancer FREE

Looked at coppercoins and thought this one matched...input please. The upside-down "Y" in the 2nd bay is present. Die scratches present both obverse/reverse. Only difference is there is a die crack going from the top left memorial to the rim along the T.

83P1DO0151.jpg 83P1DO0152.jpg 83P1DO0153.jpg 83P1DO0155.jpg 83P1DO0156.jpg 83P1DO0157.jpg 83P1DO0158.jpg 83P1DO0159.jpg 83P1DO01510.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Tough to tell with the color/glare...I'm not immediately detecting any doubling...
    Keep in mind that there were a lot of clashes and a lot of abraded dies for 1983, so it may be a case of very similar markers but not the doubled die.

4. kbabyjohnson01

Yea....all I got is the cheap USB microscope and for it takes "red" colored pics. I try different lighting and such but haven't found the right combo yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get a real microscope before long...then watch out world of coins. I hope I'm not bothering y'all too much....I try to deduce these things myself...but when I just can't decide to throw it back in the box or not....here we are.
    I'll just hang onto it for a while and look at it again another day.

5. non_cents

That's what I do when I come across a "maybe" coin, especially if I've been searching late at night...toss it in the "maybe" pile and look at it the next day. :)

kbabyjohnson01 likes this.
  6. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

The maybe pile. Now there is the bugger. The structural engineer hired by my architect about why the marble floors are cracking was muttering something about the maybe pile.

Coin -cidence?

7. jakoman

jakoman Member

What kind of usb microscope, I have had a couple(one is in 10000000 pieces), most need the light diffused some.

8. kbabyjohnson01

9. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

10. jakoman

jakoman Member

11. non_cents

From what I have seen, USB microscopes tend to have lots of issues regarding glare (usually from LED lights). I managed to get my hands on a normal scope, and can get pretty decent photos with that. If you plan on just plain searching, a USB scope usually gets the job done, but if you plan on photographing your varieties clearly (and possibly selling them), then consider investing in a higher-end scope. It'll let you get photos like this...
    http://s.ecrater.com/stores/270522/50491b2e463f6_270522b.jpg

12. jakoman

jakoman Member

I agree, the usb microscope does lack detail. But what do you expect for $50. In photography for the most part you really do get what you pay for, lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted