Is this a 1982 Small Date Penny?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mattjamal23

mattjamal23 New Member

looks like small date

4. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Great! Should I keep all 1982 small dates, or is the D or S mint mark the one I should focus on. I guess Im asking the value of it.
    Thanks!

5. mattjamal23

mattjamal23 New Member

id just keep it for now, not really any value uless theres a good error on them, im new to coins, i keep all my 1982s and older, it cost more to get it graded then what its worth.

Robin Gray likes this.
  6. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ok. At least I could tell the difference, which I couldn't do a month ago. Lol. I'm new to this hobby, too.

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The S is a proof. Large date copper.
    Almost all of the 1982's are going to be 1 cent. They made 17 billion cents that year. In the very best condition (MS mint state) the 1982 Philly small date copper and 1982 Philly small date zinc has some value. (50 cents or so). But these are not generally found in circulation.

Robin Gray likes this.
  8. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ok, well this is a copper one, as reflected in it's weight. It's definitely an average looking circulated coin. Guess I'll keep it as an example of small date. Thanks.

9. Michael K

There are less small dates than large dates. In fact there isn't any known number for the small dates. But if there are 6 billion total mintage in Denver in 1982 around 1 billion are small dates. If there are almost 11 billion minted in Philly, there are probably 2 billion small dates. My point is this is not a rare coin and only in the highest grades are they worth more than 1 cent.
    It's absolutely fun to collect the set of 7.
    Philly large copper Philly large zinc Philly small copper Philly small zinc
    Denver large date copper Denver large date zinc Denver small date zinc.
    They don't include the S because it's a proof and not generally found in circulation with the business strikes. Also, Denver did not strike any small date coppers that year, although 1 has been found. So that's also not included in the set of 7.

10. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Cool. You are so knowledgeable. How long have you been collecting and studying coins?

11. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

I'm also looking at the 1960 D Small vs. Large dates. I'm having a hard time with seeing the difference. It appears the 0 is rounder in the large date.

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

These can be found on ebay. 20180407_072635.jpg

13. Michael K

It is subtle. The 1960 Philly small date is the rare one. The other 3 are not.
    Here is Furry Frogs photo and you can see the 6 and 9 are very stubby.
    Most 1960's are going to be large dates. While I am not an expert I have been interested in the hobby since the late 1960's.
    1960P Small Date.jpg

Robin Gray likes this.
  14. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

So is the one above ( the stubby one) the large or small date?

15. stf5150

stf5150 New Member

I also have a vibrant 2018 penny in beautiful condition will it be worth anything someday 1542177757835.jpg g 1542177795735.jpg

16. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

I'll take a pic and send it in the morning. The 1960 penny I have is skinny.

17. Michael K

That photo is the rare small date 1960 Philly.
    On the large date the tails on the 6 and 9 are much longer.

18. When you get time i would like för you to looks at some of my coins im new to this

19. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Start your own thread with pictures of the coins you have questions on.

Better yet, go do some research on what you think you have and post only the ones that really have you stumped or would be an interesting find.

Welcome and good luck

20. Ok thanks so much

Draft saved Draft deleted