Is this a 1972 Type Eisenhower dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Moonshine, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I think I may have finally found a Type 2 Ike. Hopefully the pics are good enough to get some opinions...thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

I think you have a type II. Redbook defines Type II as:
    "Having a round earth and weak or indistinct islands, and used for Proofs of 1971"

4. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Yep that looks like a type 2 to me.

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

yes sir, that is a type 2. here is mine for comparison:
    [​IMG]

6. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Absolutely a T2. Nice find, looks MS... is it?

I'm up to seven. :)

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Nice find, congrats~~

8. Moonshine

It's more likely an AU. Guessing it's prob not worth grading. What have you done with yours?

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The OP's coin is indeed a Type 2 Reverse.

The Type 2 Reverse appeared on the 1971-S Silver Proof, the 1972-S Silver Proof and the 1972-S 40% Silver Clad Business Strike.
    It was also inadvertantly used in the Copper Nickel Business Strike Production presses which happens to be the "money coin".

As for grading, it looks MS but unless the obverse can be shown, it's difficult to tell.

PCGS would grade the coin for $14 (Modern Service) and depending upon grade, the coin could sell for anywhere from $40 to $400.
    Raw, it might sell for anywhere between $50 and $100 but again, it depends upon what the obverse looks like.

10. Moonshine

I'll post a pic of the obverse tonight if I can. I don't have a great lighting setup for taking photos but I'll do what I can.

For submitting to PCGS it's $14 but I'm not a member...maybe it's time I join.

11. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Yeah 14 bucks, plus shipping both ways, and a handling fee. Mine are all still raw, including a 63+ish coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted