Is this a 1918/7-D overdate buffalo nickel?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinsearch, Dec 28, 2011.

1. coinsearch

coinsearch Member

I was acid dating some undated buffalo nickels the other day and came across this one. I know the pictures aren't great but are the best I could do. 1. Is this a 1918/7-D overdate buffalo nickel? 2. If so, is there a 3rd party grading company that will grade/attribute acid dated coins? 3. What is the estimated value being acid dated? I'm very excited and anxious to know if this is what I hope it is!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

it looks like one to me! you can send acid treated buffalos to anacs and they will slab the attribution and list a details grade. id say its worth about half of what a non-treated coin is worth? it depends on how much the perspective buyer is willing to pay..

cody

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I even found one slabbed by NGC. They go from $150 to $450 on Heritage, but all look to be in better shape than yours. Still, a very nice find!

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

looks like an overdate to me. Nice find!!!

6. coinsearch

coinsearch Member

That's amazing! I found this along with two 1913-D type 2's and a 1914-D in an undated roll that I got for Christmas.

After I dated them with nic-a-date, I placed them in a vinegar-salt solution and burned all of them. :eek: One of the 1913's is worth about a nickel because of it. I'm going to be much, much more careful next time.

7. TexasJarhead

TexasJarhead Junior Member

Date Close-up

Here's a close-up of the date for reference. This one was graded F-15 my NGC. I agree with the other replies that it probably is, but I'd get a professional opinion prior to getting too excited.

1918 17 D Date 349 x 350.jpg

8. coinsearch

coinsearch Member

Thank you. I read in the Cherrypicker's Guide that there is a small die crack above the tie on the indians braid but I can't see it on mine. (possibly because its such a low grade)

Draft saved Draft deleted