Is this a 1916-D Mercury? Very worn coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JohnT, May 28, 2013.

1. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

Hey all,

I know this is likely wishful thinking, but I have this mercury dime:
    1916_Mercury_D_or_no_D0.jpg 1916_Mercury_D_or_no_D1.jpg

The pic on the right shows the general position of what I'm hoping is a mintmark... I believe this is actually the top 1/3-1/2 of the mintmark. If you switch between the two pics, you'll hopefully see what I see.

Two questions: 1) Do you think there is a D mintmark? 2) If so, do you think it is enough where somebody would slab it as a legit 1916-D

Thanks for entertaining my post!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Not a 1916D, not even close. Even in an extremely worn down 1916D the D is extremely prominent. Here is an example of an FR-2 1916D. As you can see, the D is quite bold.
    16d-fr2-rev (1).jpg
    Another more complicated diagnostic would be checking for one of 4 types of die rotation on any given authentic 1916D. Otherwise, sorry but no cigar.

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

No, it would be closer to the bottom leaf.

5. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

I figured that as well, but I found this one with a slightly lower mark:
    ebay_mercury_1916D.JPG

Well, so far I have two strikes. One more strike and this will go back in the Whitman folder under "1916".

Thanks for the responses, sanity checks are always welcome and appreciated.

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I'd say not genuine

7. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Yeah the second mintmark doesn't seem as boxy as an actual 1916D. If I were you I'd show the coin to a couple of coin dealers and get their advice on whether they think it's worth sending in to a TPG. Honestly I hope it's an actual 1916D but I don't see it happening. Good luck tho!

8. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

Yeah, not going to bank my retirement on this one. Maybe I'll bring it to the next coin show... worst case scenario, someone might get a good laugh. Thanks for the sanity check.

9. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I'm not a dime collector, but I would imagine that you can find all of the mint mark locations for the 1916-D Mercury Dimes just like we can for the 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent. My guess would be that there were only 2 or three dies used.

10. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I have never bought a 1916-D Mercury dime due to the fact that so many fakes exist (and one reason why I always caution new collectors to NEVER buy key coins first). According to Walter Breen, a renowned cataloguer of US coins, "Forgeries are plentiful, most often fabricated by affixing mintmarks to genuine Philadelphia coins, or by altering S to D on genuine 1916-S coins. The Busby gang made thousands in Los Angeles (1958); others made tens of thousands more in Milwaukee ca. 1968-73, and elsewhere in later years, in all grades. Cast counterfeits exist. Authentication is mandatory!"

(source: Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins)

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

:whistle:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      250.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      255.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Collector1966

That certainly looks like a genuine 1916-D.
    But wait-- is that an "S" under the "D"?

13. silentnviolent

14. Raymond Beracha

Raymond Beracha Active Member

Fakey fake.

15. silentnviolent

If so it's the very best fake I and about a dozen dealers I've shown it to have ever seen. Turned down offers up to $8k.

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

If it's not in a slab, it should be.. and then it'll be worth more than 8k. Raw '16-D's are a hard sell, and fail to bring full value.

17. Collector1966

This is what I was talking about when I wondered if there was an S under the D

Attached Files:

18. silentnviolent

it's ok. I'm not looking to sell it. I enjoy it very much just the way it is... And seeing the goosebumps and beads of sweat break out on those I show it to has its perks for me also! :thumb:

Plus I still haven't crossed that personal threshold of sending anything off to TPG. The lesson my Grandpa learned sending off his extensive postage stamp collection to 'an old army buddy for appraisal' never to return has stuck deep into my memory and trust isn't something I have an abundance of. Maybe after 2 or more decades I will more seriously consider it.... Or maybe I'll bring it to the MOON show in St Paul in October. If TPG reps are there then, maybe....

19. silentnviolent

I see what you mean Collector1966. I don't deny that it could be a tooled S, I think it's more likely to be an unfortunate ding to the bottom of the MM, coupled with some debris inside the D.

20. phibben

phibben New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have a question along the same lines. Here's a 1916 mercury and had previously been stored in a collection as a 1916-D. So what do you guys think? Is it a 1916-D?

21. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT.

1) - Your images didn't work
    2) - You should start a new thread. This one is 8 years old

To start a new thread, click on the blue "Post New Thread" button.

upload_2021-6-16_0-15-23.png

Draft saved Draft deleted