Is This a 1914d?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Jul 13, 2016.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I bought this many months ago at a coin show, for 50 cents in a junk box, because under the date I thought I saw a mint mark. Anyways, Could this be a Denver mintmark or just damage? I have the photo of my coin side by side with a photo of where the mint mark should be on an online photo. I will take more clear photos later.

Am I the only one who thinks they see a "D" under the date?
    1914.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I see one but need larger photo of just your coin. There are four different mint mark positions for 14-D cents.

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

When I have the chance later I will take more photos.

5. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like it to me

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but there are 5;

upload_2016-7-13_17-24-54.jpeg

silentnviolent likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If anything, looks like an S to me. But more likely just random texture.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I see a backwards D, an upside-down S, and even a Jesus is I look just right.... a proper D in a proper location? Unfortunately, no...

9. Insider

@rim's cents
    Don't be sorry, thanks! I'm very interested to discover where you found this information.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I do not think I could find the thread again, but the info came from Lincoln Cent Forum. The pictures came from Heritage and I put it together.

BTW, the tagging works better if you use r l m (RLM).

Insider likes this.
  11. Insider

THANKS for fast reply. I'll get back to you tomorrow - waiting to hear from a TPGS finalizer. I'm going to loose sleep over this but I cannot wait to be educated and corrected. ;)

Until then, IMHO, the Lincoln Cent forum guys are nuts! Additionally, IMHO micrograph #4 and #5 show the same obverse die.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Except if you overlay them, the MM for #5 is slightly higher and to the left of #4.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Something is there but whatever it is I don't think it's a D.

14. Insider

That tiny amount of difference (I don't see it) is virtually worthless to distinguish different dies in the real world of coin authentication. Heck, using that "micro" difference, there may be five or six 16-D dime dies instead of the accepted four illustrated in the ANA's Counterfeit Detection book. That's just MHO. I'm sticking to my opinion of four positions until I hear from the two authenticators I reached out to. Then, if I am incorrect, I will eat humble pie and praise you and the Lincoln Cent forum members for their excellent research.;)

15. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Looks like a "d" to me. If so, great find!

17. Insider

@rlm's cents

I have just heard from a TPGS finalizer and counterfeit expert and a well-known published variety/authentication instructor. They did not know the answer! :jawdrop::facepalm: One long time professional authenticator claims there are only FOUR positions. I am going to reach out to other authenticators I know to set the record straight - one way or another.

You get a big gold star in my book. I'm glad you disagreed in your post as you have caused quite an eye-opening shakeup among professional authenticators who I would have thought should know the answer!

I plan to contact some other friends in order to convince you there are only four. ;)

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here's what happens when you overlay the two images together.

The two images are "stacked" and the "D" MM is made centered on top.

The 1914 date is skewed heavily to the bottom-left.

Not sure if that's due to circulation wear, pic size difference, etc. - you decide.

upload_2016-7-14_10-34-41.png
    upload_2016-7-14_10-34-55.png
    upload_2016-7-14_10-35-43.png

Crudely color-coated:

upload_2016-7-14_10-47-4.png

Adjusting image rotation and aligning date in lieu of MM:

upload_2016-7-14_10-50-39.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    paddyman98 and Jason Hoffpauir like this.
  19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The 2 you picked are obviously not a match. But that proves nothing. There are 4 or 5 different positions for the MM. You have to do the same with all other locations to prove it is nt a match.

20. Insider

SEE POST #17 ABOVE FOR IMAGES.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Perhaps you need to learn about making an overlay. It is very useful to take the micrographs of the date at the EXACT same power of magnification. Otherwise, one may ass ume there are five, six, or more mint mark positions.

After being astonished that several widely known professionals could not refute the comments you learned in a "phantom" thread by "whomever" the "experts" were who wrote it, I have sent an Email of this discussion to a columnist for him to write an article about authenticating these coins. If he does, perhaps someone who knows for sure will pop up. Again, you have my respect as an inquisitive numismatist! :joyful:

PS IMO,this is the reason we are even having this discussion:

When you say: "Not sure if that's due to circulation wear, pic size difference, etc. - you decide." THAT'S THE PROBLEM. I have decided, your micrograph #4 and #5 are the same position. I'll still believe what I learned in counterfeit detection seminars - four positions. Now, I'll need to wait and see.

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

From my picture, I tried overlaying his original picture. It is too fuzzy to tell for sure, but it comes real close to #4 and #5.

Draft saved Draft deleted