Is this a 1793 cent ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I am not a copper weenie but I may have found a really good coin. Can any of you identify this cent’s type & date?

Of course, it is difficult to get the details to show well in a photograph. I’ll take several photos & maybe someone will find something to help with the identification.

BTW, I also found a 1795 which is clearly identifiable. I’ll post the higher grade 1795 later.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are several reverse photos. You can clearly see AMERI and some other details when you move the coin around under the light.

Attached Files:

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are some obverse photos. As the coin is moved under the lighting, you can see the profile of Lady Liberty and the letters RTY of LIBERTY.

Attached Files:

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There's never a copper weenie around when you need one. :D

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

copper weenie checking in for you, no it's not a 93. The 93's do not have dentilation like that for the border.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Beef beat me to that. 1793's either have a plain border or a beaded one. No denticals. The ERTY appears to right down close to the forhead so it is either a late variety 94 or a 95. Is the edge lettered? Actually it looks like it probably isn't which would make it a late 95 or a 96. (It doesn't look like a draped bust.)

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is the 1795 Cent. Does this one have any significant value?

Attached Files:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

More 1795 photos -->

Attached Files:

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well the second one is a S-74 R-4- but heavily corroded unfortunately. That's a real shame because it was a pretty nice cent wen it went into the ground. With the corrosion it is probably a $100 to $150 retail coin. Without it it would have been around $2500.

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thank you very much for the data. :thumb: I don't really have a place in my collection for this kind of coin so I'll probably sell it for the first reasonable offer at a future coin show.

I did buy this half cent for my own collection (from a different dealer). Apparently I got a good deal on it. I paid $30 and I'm pretty sure that my sheet listed $65 in VG. :smile

Attached Files:

12. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Nice half cent, it's the cohen 3 variety which is one of the two common varieties for 03. Not sure off hand of the exact die state, but I think it's latter, the bulge of metal by the date is from the die sinking. Surfaces look very nice, I would grade it around an 8 or 6 with no deductions. Not sure of the exact value, but I would buy it for $30 as well :)

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks like die state IV. it has the crack from the rim down through the tight arm of T3 to the wreath, but I don't see the obverse crack from the rim left of the L to the ribbons (State V) State IV says the bulge through 18 is light. It is rather heavy on this one so it is probably a late state of IV shortly before the obv cracked. I think the coin has been cleaned but it is still easily worth the $30 or more.

Draft saved Draft deleted