Is this $20 bill worth anything?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Derekg, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Derekg

Derekg Member

I came across this 1990 $20 bill do you guys think its worth anything??

DSC01236.JPG DSC01235.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

4. Derekg

Derekg Member

You broke my heart :'( </3

5. krispy

krispy krispy

The note is poorly centered, heavily circulated, creased, won't lay flat and is exceeding common with some 281,600,000 printed!

Book value is approx. $35 in ChCU -- your note is far from it.

Try to learn some things about grading paper and use a reference book to check the details of Series of notes then you won't have to ask and have your heart broken on a regular basis.

6. Derekg

Derekg Member

Will do. Thanks for your help guys :D.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Now Krispy, I would give $20.25 for it, so stop being so harsh :)
    To be honest with you Derekg if you can afford not to spend it, hold on to it.
    It's worth $20 now but hey 50 years from now you might be able to get $40 or $50 on ebay.
    Plus it's a neat design. I miss the older designs of our paper currency.

Legomaster1 and NOS like this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

Not sure where you get harshness, just gave the facts there and I think given the condition and if you compare other notes 50 years after issuance of similar grade and huge printage you will find that premium will not come to exist. Look at the price of common Silver Certificates sold raw in ChCU only worth very little over face, even if you buy them TPG graded, common series in anything but ChCU are not going to command much premium. The condition of the note is fundamental to determining the value and when the note is not scarce it's going to be even less likely that holding it for the future isn't going to be worth your while. Instead, go out and find an example in ChCU, now, so that 50 years later you really do have a potential numismatic value to the note. As I quoted the guidebook price, $35 (an inflated figure) is what the note is now worth in ChCU. That means you can probably find one much closer to face in perfect condition, and if value or future value is you goal, then it would behoove you to seek one out now before time allows ChCU notes to climb any further.

9. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

yeah even in 100 years that note will probably only be worth $20. the condition is poor and its a common note. nice find non the less

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I would catagorize that note as a "spender", it's very common and in less than collectible condition for a common note. It's NOT a star note, or ladder, or radar, or low serial number, or very well centered.

11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I just picked up a circulated 1934a $20 for $32 with a printage of 48 million, it's a hole filler until I can buy an uncirculated note. I doubt that note will ever be worth more then face, even in 50 years, and even if it went from 20 to 40 over the next 50 years, that's a return of 1.4 percent per year which in all likelihood is less then inflation. So holding onto that note will probably loose you money in nominal terms, even if it doubled in 50 years.

Two Dogs and Stevearino like this.
  12. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

i find alot of twentys from 1990s and newer. i usally spend them unless they're ch.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

$20 what it is, is what it is!

14. Kklehm

Kklehm New Member

I like to keep these types of bills even though they're not worth anything over face value. I've collected over $2000 in older 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 bills. They look better than today's money in my opinion, and hanging on to them is an easy way to always have cash on hand in the safe.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's worth something if you're playing lowball liar's poker. If you think about it that's the lowest liar's poker hand you can get with nine numbers, a pair of deuces. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Beverly Hauck

Beverly Hauck New Member

If that's all these bills are worth, I'm not saving it for anything. I won't be around in 50 years unless there's a pill to make you live forever. The one I have is a 1985 and is in very good condition. No tears and not shriveled, just a fold mark down the middle that can go away.

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

You kidding? The only denomination I find semi-regularly from the 1990s are 50s. In fact, I don't think I've EVER found an old school $20. I go nuts when I see even a greenie 2004 or whatever $20.

19. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

My former boss, Nick Brady's signature is on that bill.

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This thread is from November 18th 2010
    I bet the Original Poster spent it by now!

NOS likes this.
  21. HΛяdDε€iSiØƞ

HΛяdDε€iSiØƞ New Member

This is ridiculous! I have a mintttt 1988 20$ note right here.. How is this not worth more than 20$ blows my mind as its now approaching 30years old!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted