Is this 1943 steel penny worth grading?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Minanius, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Minanius

Minanius Member

I got this in a old roll that I purchased there were a couple other nice wheat pennies but no other steels. But this looks amazing. Just wondering everyone's opinions if I should get it graded, and if I do, who should I go with and what grade should I expect?
    S20230320_0001.jpg S20230320_0002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Harshly cleaned and whizzed beyond any value over 1 cent

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  4. Minanius

Minanius Member

For reference, how do you know when coins are cleaned? I have a hard time telling.

5. Minanius

Minanius Member

Also this is in a flip so the picture is the plastic in front of if it. Idk if that makes any difference.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It would be a total waste of your money to grade that coin. It’s been tampered with.

7. Minanius

Minanius Member

I'm still relatively new to collecting in comparison to a lot of people here, how can you tell if a coin has been cleaned? I'm having a hard time seeing. Is it the lack of wear or stuff?

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'm not that great at grading, but a few things to point out...Lincoln's tie disappears into his coat because it is worn down, the lines of the coat are muted and soft, not crisp, the wheat stalks on the reverse don't have the lines sharp, and even the grains show a lot of wear. The bright color is from polishing the coin. Perhaps an XF, which Red Books at $0.40...even an MS65 is $8 in my 2021 book. If you don't hae a Red Book, get one NOW. The prices are bunk, but the comparison is usually valid.

9. Minanius

Minanius Member

Man. This is making me question every single nice old wheatie I own now, makes me think they've all been cleaned. I literally have a hard time telling and now I just have a feeling I'm being scammed. Makes me very upset because I bought an "old" roll from someone on ebay with 15k+ sales and 100% feedback and the other coins in the roll were a good mix of old gross wheaties and some 1950s blazerrs, but now it's making me question all the coins i've found even in BWRs. I got really excited when I found this and now I feel pretty upset. Thanks for the info guys.

10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Take it as a learning experience. Also those original "old" rolls on eBay are more than likely not original at all. On the upside, there's plenty of nice coins from the 50s, so if they were in the roll, they are probably good.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. Minanius

Minanius Member

On another note: how can you tell original bank wrapped rolls? Do they have stamps or writing on them from banks?

12. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

That would be question for someone else. I'm not a coin roll searcher at all. But I know older wrappers can be found and used, but how to tell if they would be original is outside of my wheelhouse. But I know many of the rolls online have been searched. This from other similar posts here on CT.

Minanius likes this.
  13. Minanius

Minanius Member

Thank you. Appreciate all the info and help!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Strike quality ain't there, OP. Others see finagling, but the worth of quality regarding the coins' prominence ain't there.

I must compliment you on those pictures, though. High quality and first rate. :)

Kentucky and SensibleSal66 like this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Suggestion.. You can just buy one already graded. Will save you time ;)
    1943.JPG

16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

How you tell, you look at hundreds and hundreds of coins. You look at graded ones and compare that look to others. You look at details coins. And one day you too can look at the coin and tell. I have gotten good at looking at them through plastic and 2x2 in all kinds of good and bad pictures and being able to tell if the coin is original or not. But a few years ago I was like you and had to come here to ask. It takes time. I've spent years now looking at ebay at all kinds of pictures. All kinds of coins. And still, sometimes mistakes are made.

lardan and Minanius like this.
  17. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

This right here. By the time you graded that you would have 23 in it. And you would have a details coin that in this case, would probably make you less than the cost to ship it to someone.

18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I can't tell by your pictures but many of these coin have been reprocessed - coated to make them appear shinny.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A few of the other members have all given you a good idea of what to look for. Paddy showed you a NGC graded coin in MS-65 for $23.99. That’s one reason as it will cost you more to grade than it’s worth. If you don’t have an RS Yeoman Redbook you need to buy one. There’s a grading scale that will help you with the condition. You have to look at a lot of coins in order to develop an eye for what to look for. Your coin is soft and mushy like. It has been rubbed and polished to make it look new and shiny.

Also it’s a war cent which was made of steel in 1943. Your chances of finding one in a roll that does not exhibit rust is very, very slim. My local dealer sells steal cents 6 for $1.00. Some of these steel Cents have been reprocessed, meaning it has been freshly coated to look new.

I for one am glad you posted the coin. We have done our best to help you save money. It’s your collection and you can do what you like but you really need to learn before spending lots of money.

Best wishes and welcome to CT.

lardan, PamR and Minanius like this.
  20. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I'd say possibly plated as well, unless that's what you are referring to as "whizzed".

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's thickly plated. You can tell it from the look of the surface.

Draft saved Draft deleted