Is this 1942 50C Worth Grading?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Dr. Fosgate, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Dr. Fosgate

Dr. Fosgate Member

I am trying to decide if this 1942 Liberty Walking is nice enough to justify getting it graded. Any opinions on how it would grade would be appreciated...

[​IMG]

Legomaster1, Seattlite86 and furham like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Pretty coin, great resolution on the photo. I’m not certain it would break into the higher MS grades. I’d be inclined to leave it as is.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

You have to decide that for yourself. It would have to grade MS67 for me to consider sending it in, and I don't think it's there. It is a beautiful coin though.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I would say maybe. I say it's around MS63-64 considering the detail on the eagle's chest and her legs. However, there are a few weaker spots, so it wouldn't be a high grade coin. If you want the toning authenticated and if you want to be able to sell it for a nice sum, send it. If you don't really want those things professionally checked, you could send it, or you could just keep it or sell it raw.

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Even at MS64 it's only worth about $60.

7. Dr. Fosgate

Dr. Fosgate Member

I do plan to sell this coin, so I wonder if it would sell for more raw, or graded by ICG (only around $15 to get a coin graded). I cannot justify PCGS or NGC unless the coin were really worth a lot.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It is a nice coin. I wouldn’t pay PCGS or NGC to grade it. But raw vs. ICG? I’d like to see some experienced sellers answer that one.

9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would put this as an AU coin. Enjoy it how it is!

10. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It depends. If ICG will send it back for higher than what it should be, which is what thy usually do, then you may be able to get some more money out of it than selling it in a PCGS or NGC. If you want to sell it raw, be aware that people will be more cautious about the toning. Even though ICG is sort of made fun of, they are respected for spotting fake toning, so if the toning there is real, they won't mark it as artificially toned or whatever, and people will understand that it has been professionally approved. I would say ICG is your best option.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd leave as is. It may make a 64 but why press your luck with grading a common date coin? Very nice looking, do just place in a flip or an airtight and leave her as she is.

furham likes this.
  12. Dr. Fosgate

Dr. Fosgate Member

This 1943 may be a bit nicer than the 1942 in some ways, but I am curious if the spot on the left arm would drop it down a lot.

[​IMG]

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't think think thevyoning on the arm will raise any questions but the scratches on the field between L and I on the obverse and the scratches on the reverse under UNITED will.

Draft saved Draft deleted