Is this 1936-D Quarter an error coin? I'm confused?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CoinSeeker2017, Jan 4, 2020.

1. CoinSeeker2017

CoinSeeker2017 New Member

25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-1.jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-2.jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (0).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (4).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (5).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (6).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (7).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-3a (8).jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-4.jpg 25c-1936-D-Silver-Washington-Quarter-DDO-010420-5-REV.jpg Hi Folks,
    Happy New Year!!

I just came across this coin in a bunch of change I've been collecting for a while. The mint-mark looks weird.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it an error? Does it have any value?

Thank you so much!

Regards

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

The mint mark on your coin took a hit from something and shifted the metal.

Your coin has silver value, plus some numismatic value.

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Looks like an RPM
    Not a big additional value.
    A lot of circulation wear and tear

Kevin Mader likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

RPM, but not an error.

7. CoinSeeker2017

Thanks! @Kevin & @heavycam you say it's an RPM? Does that have value above the coin value itself?

Also - what would you say is the overall grade approximately for the coin? VF?

8. Kevin Mader

I estimate a VF-25 grade; use this link to check for yourself - https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Washington/Grades

As for value, sometimes Variety Vista will give a suggested value: see the bottom of the page on the link I provided. But you can also go to eBay and search the completed sales data to see if you can generate an approximate value for the coin.

9. Kevin Mader

10. Islander80-83

11. Islander80-83

12. CoinSeeker2017

13. Islander80-83

Heavymetal likes this.
  14. Heavymetal

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is unusual for such damage extent only on the mm. Usually other visible damage is seen. I agree with Islander that it is too flattened with the space within the D. I suspect it would not be authenticated as it is. IMO, Jim

16. CoinSeeker2017

@Islander...it was up because my self-professed coin expert wife posted it and I told her I think she was COMPLETELY Wrong!!! I just had her remove it because I wanted the opinions from folks that REALLY know what they are talking about like you folks...NOT her!! FYI..I might be sleeping in the dog house tonight...

17. Islander80-83

Very interesting or slick! I noticed the pictures you or your wife posted of the mint mark were surprisingly out of focus. Hmmmm, we'll get back to that in a minute..

I would still like an explanation from @Heavymetal, @Kevin Mader, and @TheFinn on how or why they believe it's a RPM.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  18. Kevin Mader

You might be right Islander. A couple things do make me uncomfortable with the coin:

• Looks cleaned, but it might be the washout in the photo
    • The MM looks damaged, but the profile east of what appears to be the lower MM is similar to the VV placement (this and placement were what I used)
    • The MM is flattened and looks burnished West distorted the center of the MM

VV doesn't list any markers, which is unfortunate since the reference coin looks to be in nice condition and should offer clues. It's one of my bugaboos about VV; poor references so I don't use it much. But for certain denominations, it's all we have.

As for the asking price: not close even if it is the RPM variety.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  19. Heavymetal

Looks like a duck. Might not be a duck. Doesn’t much matter
    In the condition it’s in a $15 coin, maybe.
    The rest of the members fleabay listings are sports cards

20. Islander80-83

So now it might be a duck and not a RPM, okay.

21. Heavymetal

I’m agreeing with you

Islander80-83 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted