Is this 1916 d merc real or not?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mralexanderb, Oct 21, 2011.

1. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I bid low on this one because it's a ag3 or less. Is it real?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petro89

petro89 Member

Its fake. The mintmark is not right at all.

4. petro89

petro89 Member

5. petro89

petro89 Member

That one is from PCGS photograde ans is a G06. The mintmark on yours is much larger and not in the right place.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

What is wrong with the mintmark? It looks just like this one:
    dimeha.jpg
    For comparison sake here is the op's and a genuine one side by side focused on the mm:
    dimect.JPG dimeha.jpg
    Guy

7. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Seller got 217989 100% positive feedbacks, you can always have "7 days money back".

8. mralexanderb

I thought that the D was not in the right place. But without you guys, I didn't have the best opinions I could get. So, I'll pass on "vette 1986"'s coins again. He claimed that this coin was VG+ that was obviously ridiculous. I have, through, previous buys, realized that his grades are at least 2-3 grades higher than they really are. He sells a lot of coins that are overgraded. I've bought a few ant thought, " It's not worth the return $$. That's how he survives. Most people don't want to go through the cost and hassle tp return a coin thaty's only 1 or 2 grades below what they wnted for a circulated coin. Too bad. I've done ot myself.

9. petro89

petro89 Member

I dont know... It just seems too big and too close to the branch. I looked at a few more and they are definately closer than the PCGS one I posted. I could be wrong for sure, it just seems off to me.

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Those dies were hand punched and althought I don't have the D yet, I have a lot of Mercuries and the location of the mark always varies. It looks like the proper "d" style. But, I won't buy one without certification. This is still one of the most counterfeited coins out there.

Still, the seller looks good. You can always ask the seller to submit it for grading in your name. They send it in and the grader sends it back to you at your expense. Assuming you wanted to have it certified ?

gary

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Petro the are 4 mm locations on the 16d I do believe

12. Taxidermist

He actually formulates the grading part in a very cautious way. He did not claim its VG+, at least not in item description. All his auctions always say: "I do not attach a grade to the coin... one might grade it VG, another might grade it VG+".

It always amazes me how he sells everything, and for a very nice premium in most cases. I am not sure about this particular coin, but I always bid after carefully examining his photos and so far I have never been disappointed.

13. mralexanderb

coleguy,
    I think your photos look good, but I've always have had reservations about buying a 1916D Merc that wasn't slabbed as real. I bid the most that I thought best, and I wasn't going to go higher for a coin as worn as this one was. Also, the obvious doubts I have about the authenticity of this KEY coin. I think I'll stick with a slabbed coin or a trusted local dealer for the last Merc that I need for my "childhood" collection that I got out of circulation. My first collection, being Mercs, are mostly worn coins, but they are my first from my childhood collecting activity. That is something I'd like to complete, even in worn condition, to match the coin that I have in my first collection.

14. petro89

petro89 Member

c31021267-a.jpg

Heres another one...NGC AG03. I know the wear isn't gonna be exactly the same on any two coins, but this MM is smaller, further away from the branch, and more of a "D" while the OP pic is bigger, closer to the branch and more of a "pacman"typoe of thing.

15. mralexanderb

Yes, vette 1986 sells everything and his coin store on ebay is very successful. BUT, his coins are rarely described in their real grade. I have bought his coins and didn't find it profitable to return them for the cost, compared to the difference in value that the coins are worth. For a long time I refused to bid on his stuff because I knew the coins would be below grade as described and shown. All his coins are shown on a red background and he must have a parade of coins, photographed the same way, for the look & effect.

16. Taxidermist

There is no description at all, unless a "very nice original coin" can be considered as a description!

I always carefully check photos, which are quite high quality and never get into bid fights on his lots. The bidders there are willing to pay unreasonable prices, even when other sellers offer better grades for lower price. Still, quite a few times I got VERY nice coins for a low price.

17. mralexanderb

Well, I'm relieved that someone else "won" this coin. You know, I'm DONE with "vette 1986". His stuff is SOOOO IFFFY, that I can't waste my time on his coins. PERIOD.

Draft saved Draft deleted