Is this 1902 Morgan undergraded?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ike Skywalker, Mar 15, 2018.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Oops. My mistake, My bad. Got it.

That might even be a 63 hiding in there....lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Kirk,
    At the risk of opening the whole "market grading" can o' worms, in this present age where we find ourselves, Mint State grading is FAAAAAAR more than "state of preservation".

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

1902 is available with better luster than appears to be show in the photo. I also can't tell to what extent there are little marks all over the cheek. It looks like an attractive coin from the photo, and while it might be tempting for someone to think they can crack, dip, and upgrade, there's not much upside going only to 65. Hopefully it stays as is.

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it is appropriately graded. Good surfaces, but not a huge amount of luster. It is also not a great strike. Could just as easily have graded 63, as I see it. Nice toning, but not to justify that price.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not getting into the whole market grading debate either, but I really disagree with the practice. I have reluctantly accepted it as the hobby’s reality though.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That's fair enough. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. I decided to not fight it and get with the "MG" system. Kind of like the subtitle of "Doctor Strangelove".

8. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I haven't put a lot of thought into the above talk (about luster limiting an otherwise gem to a 64) but I can say I've owned multiple low MS coins with amazing gem looking surfaces and limited/no luster and those are the exact types of coins I would like to never acquire again. For me luster is a must if I'm going to spend even 63 money on a coin and I'll opt for a 55 or 58 all day over lower MS with no luster.

edit: just reread my first sentence and apparently 40 seconds later I've now put enough thought in because I absolutely think lack of luster should keep otherwise gems at 64.

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I agree with those not wanting to get into a grading debate but there is no way I would pay MS65 money for that 1884-O Morgan Dollar. IMHO it has very little "eye appeal".

10. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Agreed, and if the TrueView image is making this coin look better than it actually is, then I’d hate to see what it looks like in hand. I think the TV image is being honest, though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted