Is this 1884 CC Morgan a Fake?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by quick_change, May 15, 2016.

1. quick_change

quick_change Member

I attempted to use my loop for these pics. I know its not what you requested SuperDave, but I was a little busy this week. I'll try to upload more if need be. Thanks again!
    quick_change

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I get what you mean about "busy;" I'm in the middle of 7 days in a row at work and don't have a day off until next Wednesday. :)

The only thing that bothers me about your coin is the tested composition. I haven't looked as closely at your detail images as I can, which has to wait until tonight after work. I will be doing so.

The only way to duplicate the abnormal features of a known VAM like this one in a counterfeit is a transfer die, created by taking an impression of an existing coin and building a die from that. The process is somewhat "lossy;" certain sharp details are inevitably lost. Otherwise, an existing "good" counterfeit die would have to have those details deliberately worked in by hand. And it would have had to have happened in the last ten years, which is how long this variety has been identified and public images existed, so they would have known to do it.

The chances of it being counterfeit are very small to me. The more likely explanation is an inaccurate analysis from the XRF, or it's genuinely a less-accurate alloy than the Mint would usually have accepted in that era.

quick_change and Paul M. like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, coin is genuine Period

quick_change likes this.
  5. quick_change

quick_change Member

Thank you for your research and feedback SuperDave! it has helped me in more ways than one!

6. quick_change

quick_change Member

I want to agree. I got it at a coin show, so, I'd assume the man that sold it to me wouldn't want to lose his reputation.. then again, there are some people that just want to make a quick buck! I've learned the hard way already..

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Don't discount the possibility that the show seller was deceived himself. Many coin dealers are generalists, and simply lack the time to be aware of the subtleties of every issue they sell. There are many generalities of counterfeit coins which are common to every issue, but there are also fakes so good that I'm prevented from being completely sure of your coin. I'm sure enough that I'd likely buy it myself based on the evidence presented thus far, but better men than I have been fooled before.

Draft saved Draft deleted