Is this 1878 S morgan worth sending in....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Jul 11, 2020.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

and if so, to which TPG? DSC_0681 (2).JPG DSC_0682 (2).JPG

capthank and toned_morgan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

100%! It has textile toning, but those scratches might make it a details grade. That's very unlikely and I think it would easily get around MS64 at NGC or PCGS.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Toning looks late stage, but legit. Surfaces are kind of rough in the prime focal areas and left field, and the toning isn't hiding the marks. MS62 at best.

CircCam likes this.
  5. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

It's hard to take a photo of the obv because it's really reflective under the toning

6. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

7. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The toning looks nice, but I agree that it likely wouldn't go any better than MS62, if that. Of primary concern (as I see it) is the apparently deeper mark below the bust, above the three stars to the right of the date. If that is a scratch/gouge/scrape like it appears to be, you might get the coin back in a "Genuine/UNC Details" holder.

If that turns out not to be an issue (like if it's a planchet flaw or strikethrough, maybe) and the coin straight-grades, I'd say the rest of the small hairlines are fairly normal bagmark sort of friction; not enough to drop it below the Mint State spectrum, but enough to keep it at the lower end of that spectrum; say MS61 or 62.

I guess it comes down to whether you're planning to keep it or sell it, or if you just want it in a slab. I don't think you'd recoup the added expense of the slab if you sold it after submitting it to a TPG. So I see no need to slab this unless you really just want to.

Hairlines and potential scratch aside, the coin has nice eye appeal. Not a monster, but nice. I'd spring for a TrueView photo if you send it to PCGS.

Between the B and U of PLURIBUS I see the signs of textile toning @toned_morgan alluded to. So the toning appears to be original.

I'm certainly no VAMpire, so I'll let someone else chime in on any potential VAM variety stuff.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I wouldn't as it will come back detail graded.

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The roughed-up cheek makes it an MS-62 at best. It’s not worth sending it in. A lot of the S-mint dollars from 1878 to 1881 have P-L or near P-L characteristics. They have to “shine like the Chrysler building” to get a P-L on the holder.

Dynoking, buckeye73 and Robert Ransom like this.
  11. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Agree, MS-62.

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

62 at best. Possible details grading for scratches. Definitely not prooflike, and the toning is nice, but not spectacular. I say don’t submit.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I wouldn't as those scratches are going to hold it back.
    Nice original toning.

14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Toning great the scratches will hold it back. Its definitely a keeper but I would not send it in in my opinion.

15. Silver Bull30

Silver Bull30 New Member

They there my fellow coin collector! To answer your question bluntly: If this were my coin I would not send it in, HOWEVER! she is a nice coin that would receive a mint state grade, on the lower end of mint star but that is much better then a grade of AU-58 she would end up prolly around MS-60, Shes got lots of bag marks and "Chatter" (scratches), It possible a grade higher MS-62. The TONING she has is the main thing you have going for your coin here, if it is special to you, maybe passed down,first coin,first toner or you just love it and would like to have it slabbed, Just do some pricing BEFORE and make sure your comfortable with the sum AFTER the cost you have in the coin plus grading, shipping etc. Great coin none the less! Have a shiny silvery day!
    Silverbull30

john65999 and capthank like this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

"Is this 1878 S morgan worth sending in...."
    My question is, "Why?"
    I have to defer to my friend @lordmarcovan when he said, "I guess it comes down to whether you're planning to keep it or sell it, or if you just want it in a slab. I don't think you'd recoup the added expense of the slab if you sold it after submitting it to a TPG. So I see no need to slab this unless you really just want to."

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'd guess MS 62 and the toning is attractive enough to garner a premium if it was slabbed vs raw (in my opinion). I wouldn't send it in alone but would add it in on a larger submission (to help spread out the costs). PCGS and NGC would be the best choices (Anacs and ICG don't realize prices as high for toners in most cases).

The mark mentioned by others above the stars to the right of the date would worry me a bit. I can't tell for certain what it is, but it may very well be acceptable to a TPG for a 62 graded Morgan.

Draft saved Draft deleted