Is this 1877 CC Trade real or fake? Poll inside

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dalladalla80, May 17, 2019.

?

Is this 1877 CC Trade dollar Genuine or Fake?

Poll closed May 20, 2019.
  1. Genuine

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Fake

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Dalladalla80

Dalladalla80 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think it is real with damage.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It sounds like he's been harassed by some questionable do-gooders as to whether the coin is authentic or not.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks genuine to me but I do not consider this a key date as the seller has advertised. Look at the other mintages on Trade Dollars. I would proceed with caution on this coin due to the seller's comments.

Penna_Boy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Definite damage (scratches) near Star 12.
    But the REALLY weird feature is the scratch all the way around the obverse just inside the dentils.
    Makes me think someone was thinking of doing something strange to the coin.

7. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I've seen the other discussion on this. I'm going to say it's real with a older cleaning then a more recent one, I would not purchase this coin.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Someone took a pin and scratched it all the way around just inside the denticals.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Real, damaged. Details coin. Cleaned, and scratched.

10. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Real / details grade and take your pick ( Cleaning - Scratched - Environmental damaged reverse )

Penna_Boy likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks real to me but damaged.

12. Charles Reese

Charles Reese Member

Hard to tell by looking at the photo. Like fake Silver Eagles, in a photo they look real. But comparing it side by side with a real one you can tell the difference in thickness and weight and magnet test. Would have been a sure thing if graded and slabbed by NCG/PCGS. Good luck and proceed with caution. I have seen fake older coins that were made in China. They are smart. They make them to appear old and our government does nothing to stop the flow into the US. So, I can't vote fake or real.

Magnus87 likes this.
  13. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

Just an observation. How does a coin that was not intended to circulate in the US be so worn and not have any chop marks?

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If could have been used as a pocket piece or used as a worry stone. It could also have been circulated in places that don't use chop marks. Even though the US government minted Trade Dollars for use overseas (Asia to compete against dollar sized coins from other countries) they were allowed to circulate in the US.

Trade Dollars were legal tender in the US until silver prices dropped, then that provision was repealed and the Treasury had to limit the coin to export demand only. In 1887 the US Treasury redeemed Trade Dollars that were not mutilated. Having a chop mark was mutilated.

Other possibilities are in could have been placed in a rock tumbler to give it wear as in circulation condition. Lol

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Sounds like something i have done many many years ago. I took an eraser and cleaned up my momma's cent collection dates. She handled it well

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Real holed damaged but legit

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ok got the wrong link. Original coin. Real damaged scratched cleaned. Looks like a ground find that got shined up

Draft saved Draft deleted