Is this 1811 Half Cent fake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Jun 13, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

These aren't my pics. The weight is right, but the date looks off to me. Hoping someone who knows these well will chime in...
    2015-06-13 16.58.40.jpg 2015-06-13 16.58.10.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

100% FAKE. Tall spindly numbers, too far apart, and out of alignment. Also, few if any denticles, and stars too far from the rim. Ugh.

Seattlite86 and C-B-D like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Not my expertise, but I wouldn't touch that coin. The date is off for sure.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Let me say it another way. Would I pay $10 for this coin? Noooo.

C-B-D likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My friend purchased it off eBay. When he got it in hand he thought it was real. I asked him to send me pics and this is what he sent. I thought it had a "Chinese" looking date. Thanks to you guys, he just opened up his Request for Refund case on eBay.

7. coin_analyst

coin_analyst Member

Absolutely, undeniably fake.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Cent is spelled wrong...

Not really, but you almost looked anyway.

easj3699, rooman9 and Kentucky like this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

caught me looking :p

vdbpenny1995, Kentucky and Kirkuleez like this.
  10. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks real to me. The date looks like the wide date. The coin has been messed with. Some type of cleaning that went bad. The obverse looks a bit funny. There should be a few hits to the face with a coin this old.

13. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

And, no. your example doesn't look good.
    About a year and a half ago I bought a run from 1849-1857 half cents.. they looked super in the listing. When they came I was excited because they still looked good and weighted perfect. However, because of the 1852 I gave them a very close look and became suspicious. I knew they were fake, but didn't want to believe it. I took them all to NGC and they said they were the latest and best examples of counterfeits.
    Of course, because of the amount of money involved I returned them. (seller asked if 'I was sure', but took them back) If that seller resold them I hate it, but some one some time down the road will probably stroke out when he finds out what that '52 really is. Though, I felt a little better when the guy at NGC told me that surely whoever buys it would have it checked and a grader would find it to be fake.
    As for the others, they may even get slabbed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  14. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

. . . and I thought you were referring the coin "smelling" wrong.

16. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Fake. There are multiple diagnostics (e.g, the shape of the 8, where the ribbon points, etc) that show that this is not an 1811 (neither Cohen-1 or C-2)
    If eBay hesitates to refund your friends money (have him PM me and I'll be happy to go into detail and cite the appropriate authorities)

rzage, C-B-D and Copper56 like this.
  17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Anyone notice the spacing and anemic looking letters in "Liberty"?

rzage likes this.
  18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't collect large cents , but it still looks funny to me . Especially the date and the word cents .

Draft saved Draft deleted