Is there such a thing as a copper nickel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by The Beatles, Nov 7, 2012.

1. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

I found a nickel, but it doesn't look like an ordinary nickel. It's a 1974 P-Mint, but it has a completely copper look. I think before hand someone tried to scratch at it, and where they scratched it there is a silvery color. When I compare the sounds of it by dropping it, it makes the EXACT same sound as a penny.
    Any clue as to what I may have found?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Can you weigh it and compare its weight to a normal nickel (5 grams)?

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Sometimes a copper-nickle coin gets yellow, copper-brown, even red color when exposed to environmental damage such as being buried for a time. This outer layer is may be this. Also possible someone copper plated it. I suspect someone who had it originally, scratched it and when he saw the regular copper-nickel color beneath, they passed it on.

The specific gravity of copper, nickel , and copper-nickel metal is so close, it would take chem lab level measuring devices to determine.

5. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

desertgem, you are right. Forget the weighing part.

6. headsortails

headsortails Member

are you from indiana? because ive put alot of funny colored nickels back into circulation.

7. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

There are certified examples of a nickel struck on a penny, I have seen some on teletrade.

8. headsortails

headsortails Member

pictures make it a lot easier

9. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

I sat this coin aside, thinking it was/is nothing. Came across this thread again, and decided I should at least post some pictures. Here they are: (opinions still greatly welcome)

Attached Files:

10. Nick1986

Nick1986 New Member

Looks like a forgery

11. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Well its not a wrong planchet error I can tell you that. I'm in for it just being exposed to something funky giving it that color. I would say it's not a forgery.

12. newcoinguy

newcoinguy Member

looks like toning

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Could be copper plated.

14. Jettasket

Jettasket New Member

I have a couple of what I call black beauties (a 1974 no mint mark, and a 1942 P nickel) and they are kinda copper color, but more black... They each weigh 4.85 grams, but they are in such great condition I dont think they are environmental damaged.... I will post pics if necessary, so any ideas or thoughts about them, I welcome! Thanks!

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pictures are always cool but this thread is over 5 years old. You might want to start your own thread. It will get you more answers. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted