Is there really another a coin shortage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by potty dollar 1878, Nov 4, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

edited

just because I hate being left out.

(When I was a small child, my mother had a portable manual typewriter with a two-color ribbon; you could type in red or black. I thought it was the best thing EVER.)

Cheech9712 and bruthajoe like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Did you tell the truth again?

4. bruthajoe

And then white out! It is still evolving... now we have smiley's:shame:

5. -jeffB

Oh, we did then, too. Long before, in fact.

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. bruthajoe

Yea but they looked like this : )

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As far as I can remember I didn’t make a political statement. I asked but did not receive an answer as to why.

bruthajoe likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you're talking about the local banks returning coins to the Fed every day, yeah there is a lot. But a lot is a very relative term. The amount of coins being returned to the Fed - now - is but a tiny fraction of what it normally is, or rather used to be.

In simplest terms coins are recycled on a daily basis between the local banks and the Fed. But the source of all those coins being recycled is the public. So if the public stops turning coins in, then the banks, local and Fed, don't have any to recycle.

That's the problem, the public is only turning in (by spending them) a tiny fraction of what they always used to turn in (by spending them).

9. bruthajoe

:hilarious:

10. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA the old ones are the best

lardan and Cheech9712 like this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Didn’t know that. Thanks

12. Cheech9712

Yea Doug probably said the same thing when currency changed over from beads and shells. He might be old but he still remembers.

13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

That was a mistake from awhile ago not all are it's both clad strikes and silver strikes.

LakeEffect likes this.
  14. bgeezy

bgeezy New Member

I saw the coin shortage sign at chase today. I told the teller I had a 5 gallon bucket of change, filled 4/5, and it will help her with the shortage. She said they don't accept that amount of change. HAHA!!

15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

If they did accept those 5 gallon change jar submissions, how do you think they'd justify their fabricated coin shortage?

Oh, welcome to CT.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. bgeezy

bgeezy New Member

Thank you!

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Another made up story and welcome to CT.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

What kind of quarters are in the 1975 and 1976 proof sets. Are those silver also. I’m lost

19. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

The "coin shortage" bullcrap is still continuing.

clearly, it's untrue, but these businesses don't want to have to get coins shipped in. It's greed more than true shortages. trust me... there is no shortage of coins... we are printing bills and minting coins at absurd rates.

Well, too bad. Any business that won't take my cash or try to short me is one which does not desire to have my continued business.

20. -jeffB

Doesn't matter how many the Mint issues, if every time people "get change" they just take it home and dump it in a jar.

I see customers getting change all the time, but almost never spending change -- and when they do, the folks behind them are usually scowling at the delay.

Yeah, a lot of businesses will jump at an excuse to avoid the extra costs and security risks of handling cash. But the coin shortage is real, in that the coins aren't where they're needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted