Is there any Silver REALLY out there?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by COINnoisseur, Sep 13, 2012.

1. COINnoisseur

COINnoisseur Professional Amateur

sjlund - For me the gas and time aren't an issue, I love the search and the possibilty of a find.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Definitely the search and find are satisfying. It is like armchair mining.

4. clorox

clorox Member

People are pulling 40% halves now not because silver has caught up with gold, it's because silver has gone up, period. And they will never be rare in a numismatic sense. Most primary accounts of the 1980's silver spike state that Franklin halves were the hardest hit by the refiners, yet they still are one of the easiest silver sets to complete today, even in higher grades. Plus, the 40% halves never circulated like Franklins did: The half dollar was already an unpopular coin to use in commerce, the Kennedy design was incredibly popular as a keepsake, and the silver value of the coin was above face value by 1974 (based on yearly averages) and never went back. The vast majority of the 40% that I find are in XF or better condition.

5. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Wow! you start off by hammering me and never let up. I am not sure if you had a bad day, however, let us dissect your bald and self-serving argument.

First, you stated "[p]eople are pulling 40% halves now not because silver has caught up with gold, it's because silver has gone up, period." That statement is only true in a very shallow sense (at least my example gave context for people to infer from). Assuming more people have started pulling more of the subject coins from circulation it is because silver's melt price equals or exceeds the costs of extracting the silver content from said coins.

Second, never say "never." Ha ha ha ha, I just used the word never after counseling not to say it. Oops, I did it again. Also, back in 1932, I am sure people thought the 1932D quarter would be available in quantity and good condition years into the future. However, people ignored the coin and only years later realized a shortage of really nice 1932D quarters because no one save them. PCGS estimates a MS66 1932D at $143,000.00 compared to $1,150.00 for a 1932P of same grade). In fact, according to PCGS, if you wanted to purchase a complete set of date and Mints for silver quarters in MS66, it would cost approximately $191,000.00. That would be $143,000.00 for the 1932D and $48,000.00 for the rest (how many would be the rest - it depends, but it would be safe to say 95).

Third, "[m]ost primary accounts." What are they? Do not go after me with bald self serving statements like "[m]ost primary accounts." They do nothing for your credibility. Also, you state "the 1980's silver spike." The spike you refer to occurred from approximately 1980-81. Other minor spikes occurred in approximately 1983 and 1987.

I would agree that Franklin halves were hardest hit by refiners during said peaks and perhaps they are one of the easiest sets to complete. However, approximately 30 years have passed since those times in the 1980's. Status of Franklin halves can be more accurately evaluated. Let us wait 25-30 years before using the word, well, you know which word.

Fourth, you stated "the [Kennedy] 40% halves never circulated like Franklins did: The half dollar was already an unpopular coin to use in commerce, the Kennedy design was incredibly popular as a keepsake." What is your foundation for that? I do not think a statement like that can be taken as common knowledge, even among collectors in general.

Fifth, you stated "the silver value of the coin was above face value by 1974 (based on yearly averages) and never went back." This statement contradicts your first statement. Therefore, you must no believe "because silver has gone up, period." cannot be the whole answer, period. Also, I am assuming your yearly averages are isolated by year and not combined from 1974-2012.

I am done.

DO NOT EVER GO AFTER ME AGAIN LIKE THAT, PERIOD.

6. SilverBadger

SilverBadger New Member

It depends on the batch you get. They're out there and it's fun to search, but they're becoming more and more difficult to find. I went through a whole box of Halves and fonud nothing. Another time a teller gave me only 7 coins that she had in her drawer and sure enough, there was a 40% one in there. :)

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Calm down please. If anyone wishes to stop posting, that is OK, but one can not tell someone to stop. If anyone thinks it is too personal, let us know about it.

8. sjlund

sjlund Member

Wow, calm down. Overreact much?

9. desertgem

The advice in post 26 goes in all directions, continuing hissy-fits will not be allowed. Thanks

10. desertgem

Fade to Black, I deleted your post. To all, I want this discussion to get off of the personal point and back to the Original subject.

11. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

Why?

No, there is no silver left out there. Don't bother looking, you won't find anything. I have not found 200oz this year, no sir.

12. sjlund

sjlund Member

Boy, right after saying that I average 1.3 silvers per dime box I get a skunk box of dimes. Oh well! At least I didn't get any worthless foreign junk in the box either.

Draft saved Draft deleted