Is there any silver cladded copper coins known to exist

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AnewFoundhobby, Dec 10, 2015.

1. I'm almost certain that there is an object caught between the clads of this coin you can actually see the outline of the object

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. as stated before it's heat damage. Post Mint Damage. You will get the same response from the other members as well. But for some reason I feel you won't believe us o_O

rickmp likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The most likely answer is heat damage as mentioned. The outer nickel containing clad has a lower thermal expansion than the copper core, thus producing separation in areas the clad is weaker.

A silver clad copper coin would not be an acceptable solution for any mint produced coin, as there would be little protection from wear of the silver which is by far the more expensive, being on the outside and cheap copper on the inside.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

It was in a fire.

6. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"Ant Man" was running around in the facility when this CnClad strip was manufactured. Now, he's trying to get out.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Excessive heat to a clad coin creates exactly what you have described OP. PMD all the way.

9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Heated. Probably with a torch.

10. can you tell me why it actually wheighs more than a identical coin to this

11. and if that were the case if you had to get one side hot enough to get the inner hot enough to raise the other side of the coin. the side that you were hitting would actually melt away.Nicholas is a very soft and very

12. I'm going to end this argument I'm going to put this thing in AC clamp and see if I can squeeze the clads together towards each other

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Did you actually weigh it? What were the results? There is a +/- tolerance in weight for all coins

Not really

I didn't know this was an argument.
    I was simply trying to explain what is really happening to your coin as the other members tried to explain also. Please tell us the results of your clamping.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

The coin has seen excessive heat applied. There is another one on the CONECA website. I see these all the time at the table when doing shows.

15. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Who is Nicholas?

16. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Yeah, and what's an AC clamp?

I think he spoke the words " nickel is" and "a C clamp"

17. David Setree Rare Coins

I guess he really didn't want to hear the truth.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would like to know what you find.

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

You'll know as soon as he starts another thread asking if an obviously PMD vice-job half dollar is a mint error or not and how much it is worth.

Jdiablo30 and paddyman98 like this.
  20. David Setree Rare Coins

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

An AC Clamp is a clamp that carriers Alternating Current. You place the clamp on the coin, plug it in and presto. Now you have a coin that excessive heat, electrical surge, has passed through so you coin now has a bubble. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted