Is there any saving this 1909 s penny???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Junior lawson, Nov 30, 2020.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Do you think it's worth spending the money? A nice eye appeal 1909-S cent in VF is worth what...$120. It's hard to tell from the photos, but I would say this coin has VFish details. But it's got loads of problems. Conserved...it's still a problem coin worth $40 or so. I wonder if it's worth spending the money on professional conservation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If I owned it, I would conserve it, put it into a "Genuine" label slab and then trade out of it. Cost: $40

4. CamaroDMD

I suppose that with nothing invested in the coin at this point...you could spend the value of the coin to get it into a state where it is movable and then trade it for something of equal value but in better shape.

John Burgess likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

That's a good deal for Conserving a coin

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. serafino

Thanks for the advice on using xylene with copper coins followed by verdi care. So many just assume that Acetone is the be all for coins.

7. serafino

It's easy to test what Acetone will do to copper coins by putting some common wheat cents in a Acetone bath for a week and see what it does to them ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not actually, there will still be a large number of people who say "Well, it happened with MY coins..." just like people who claim to have gotten the flu from a flu vaccine. Not a bad experiment though. If I get some nice bright cents, I'll try.

serafino likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I played with a few coppers and Ms70 we will see how they turn out.

Kentucky and serafino like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

Isn’t verti care out of production?

serafino likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have been trying to get some for quite a few months.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have half a bottle left but have been hoarding it. Wish I’d bought more

Stevearino likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Agreed if you had verdicare it’s very worth trying on this one. Otherwise let the pros deal with. If it’s a vdb it’s a real winner and a 50/50 shot of it. If not it’s still a key 09-s

serafino and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  14. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Xylene and acetone will only mess up the color of a coin that's been messed with.

I agree with Insider that this coin is corroded and needs more aggressive conservation to keep it from corroding further.

serafino likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree that acetone or xylene will not help this coin. Conservation by someone like Insider could help the look of the coin but I don't think there is any money to be made unless it is the VDB.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I think authentication/conservation by ICG would be fine. I think technically they are right up there with the "big boys."

Stevearino and serafino like this.
  17. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

"Hug him and Love him, and call him George" or Abe. Quote compliments
    of Loony Tunes, The Yetti, and Bugs.

18. Insider

Acetone will turn SOME copper coins blue. There is no foolproof way to tell the ones that will turn. They can be changed back to their original color with any oil-like product such as Coin Care.

I bought a bottle of Verdi-Care. I seldom use it as in my experience Coin Care works just as well.

RonSanderson, serafino and Stevearino like this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not 50/50 for a VDB. It's 4-1 against. Still decent odds.

Stevearino likes this.
  20. serafino

Coin Care will help remove verdigris on copper coins ?

21. Insider

Coin Care is one of the best conservation products on the market. It has replaced Blue Ribbon which is no longer made. I often remove the PVC haze on silver coins with it. Then you'll need to remove the Coin Care because it leaves a "wet" look.

serafino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted