Is there any saving this 1909 s penny???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Junior lawson, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Junior lawson

Junior lawson Active Member

Lol so i gotta pick another penny from my late grannys coin collection, and today i chose her 1909 S. Its in pretty bad shape, but i was thinking i could try and save it befor any mord damage is done. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you everyone. 20201129_225604.jpg 20201129_225622.jpg In the second picture that isnt a shadow across the coin eather.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I believe there is a chance , I believe this with all my heart .
    I-like-me.png

4. SensibleSal66

It just needs a bath . I hope . Some might say Acetone . I'll wait for more responses as I've never done this. I personally would start with Dish soap and water. Soak and Rinse. Don't Rub .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Kelly Capone and capthank like this.
  5. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

100% acetone bath (soak) followed by a distilled water rinse. Then repeat.

6. SensibleSal66

That's what I figured . I can't wait to see if it's a 1909S V.D.B !

7. SensibleSal66

NOT nail polish either!!

Danomite likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That white corrosion is going to pose some problems.
    Did you check the MM placement? To ensure it is not a copy?
    There is a good amount of detail left on that one that I would want it professionally conserved.

9. SensibleSal66

Does anyone know what it cost to conserve a coin ? Just wondering .

Mike Davis likes this.
  10. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

ICG charges $5 if you want conservation when you're having it graded / slabbed ($10 economy tier for Coin Talk members, though you have to mention that you are one, I'm told), not sure that this is offered separately nor how comprehensive it is.

capthank and buckeye73 like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

That would be the best right there. They would also authenticate the coin.

MIGuy, serafino, Allan and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Some good advice has been suggested. Whatever you do I would like to see the result. Best of luck to you and the coin.

13. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

My preference for copper is xylene. Then follow up with verti care. Acetone may cause a pink color though others here may disagree. Acetone may be ok for a quick dip or a short soak. Going off of the pictures I think this coin is going require an extended soak therefore my recommendation is xylene vs acetone. Just my opinion based on instructions I received on this site from very knowledgeable people and my trial practice on junk coins and my experience in coin conservation.

14. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

PLEASE DO NOT USE ACETONE! You might dip it in acetone for just a second and be ok, BUT there is a chance it will RUIN the coin (based on my own experience) I would stick to xylene and verti care as suggested above. ALSO I have found in the past that the TPG suggested above does not produce consistent grades ie, 1914 D graded by icg came back as AU and after speaking with my mentor who has since passed he advised me that the coin was not even close to AU, he worked as a grader for one of the TPG's and at his suggestion it was sent to another company who confirmed his grade of XF-40. He also is the one that told me that ICG stands for I Cant Grade. I guess if you want to use them it is your decision, but I have had nothing but doubts on several coins I have looked at and purchased from other dealers who discount coins graded by ICG.

15. Pickin and Grinin

With out having your opinions interrupt this thread. All TPG's over grade and under grade. None ae infallible. ICG would be plenty fine in this instance where the coin is one if not the most faked date and MM in the series. They will conserve it (if able) authenticate it and slab it for protection.

MIGuy, Stevearino, Mainebill and 3 others like this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

If you can get it conserved and authenticated for the amount suggested above, I would think that would be the best way to go. Do some research and see what is being offered out there and then make a decision.

MIGuy, Stevearino and Allan like this.
  17. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

serafino likes this.
  18. Millard

Millard Coindog

Looking beyond the crud and grit that coin looks to be in pretty good condition.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Or even nail polish remover!!!

Stevearino likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

AFAIK, acetone is reputed to impart a bluish hint to copper (although more people refute that than agree with it) the pink is from an acid dip (eZest or other). Verdicare will help with the verdigris, but the home made treatment has a chance of stripping the coin. As to ICG conservation, perhaps @Insider can speak to that. Right now, I would probably give it a hot water bath and a rinse with distilled water and dry thoroughly to stop any more bad stuff.

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Acetone will not help the coin. It looks corroded. It can be preserved with conservation.

MIGuy, Stevearino, Mainebill and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted