Is There An Acceptable Way To Clean Nickels?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I just picked up this 1946 S nickel because it is proof like. However it has some substance on the surfaces that detract from the coin's eye appeal.
    Is there an acceptable way to clean nickels? Something like a silver dip?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NO to the Silver Dip. You'll forever destroy what luster you have.

mac266 likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Post pics of what you have. Acetone may solve your problems? If not, I have had success with NCS.

mac266 likes this.
  5. bsowa1029

Ok thanks. I'll try to get pics up sometime tonight.

6. bsowa1029

I've used dip a lot. Never had an issue. Coins always came out looking better than before

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're a lucky man. :)

mac266 likes this.
  8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Comet and steel wool. It'll take just about anything off and leave a nice shine.

(Please don't do this)

bsowa1029 likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A friend of mine used a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and ammonia to dip a 3 cent nickel. It took the haze off pretty quickly but didn't mess with the luster. I don't recommend it, however. Do your research and try it with some cheap, face value coins.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  10. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Too much effort, stick with power tools :)

jester3681 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

While we're at it, how about a good dose of blasting powder?:confused:

12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Depending on what it looks like you could probably dip it safely. I don't get why so many people are seemingly terrified of dipping coins it's pretty easy and you can always dilute the dip to a very weak strength if worried about over doing it. Yes you will never know exactly what each coin will do. But with a lot of practice on coins that aren't super valuable you can get a feel for it and pretty good idea of what a coin will do based on prior experience.

ldhair likes this.
  13. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Denatured alcohol maybe, or acetone.

swamp yankee and bsowa1029 like this.
  14. bsowa1029

@Blissskr @atcarroll @physics-fan3.14
    Wish the quality of the photos could be better, but this is the best I can do with what I have:
    1946 S 5C Obv.jpg 1946 S 5C Rev.jpg

As you can see the problem is mostly on the reverse. Also, I don't think this would be granted PL by NGC and from the photos it may not look PL, but in hand and beneath the haze/spotting it has more of a mirrored-proof look than a frosty BS look. Without the haze/spotting this thing would really shine. Is there any safe way to get rid of it?

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am fairly sure it is a fingerprint, and they are difficult-almost impossible to remove without causing more problems. I would let it go as is.

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The two heavy white spots on the reverse likely won't come off. I've used very dilute dip and dipped plenty of nickels from 70's-80's proof sets with haze on them and improved many of them but usually it's the mild haze look. When they get that heavy milky white look like the spot above Monticello and I see another above the mint mark it usually doesn't remove. Although you might be able lessen the haze in some of the lighter areas; you may end up not liking how the coin looks especially if the fields are nicely mirrored as you said as those white spots will generally become much more prominent looking.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, I can see the PL-ish tendencies. However, your coin does not appear nearly strong enough for the PL designation (yours appears more reflective than a typical business strike, but the mirrors are not strong enough).

The 46S is known in PL. There are 6 graded by NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted