Is there a way to cover cleaning that fools TPGs?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Arcane76, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Arcane76

Arcane76 Well-Known Member

No, I’m not asking because I want to fool them. I am asking because I purchased a TPG graded coin at a coin show the other day. It was UNC details scratched OBV. I looked at the coin ( not just the holder) I observed the scratch and it wasn’t that bad. I also looked over the whole coin and liked what I saw. Now, not to open a whole can of worms so to speak, I like my coins out of the holder. So I cracked it out( again that’s just my personal preference). Looked at the coin and was really pleased. I placed it into a Abafil tray with other coins and went about life. Today I went to look at said coin and ! It looks very different! Harshly cleaned perhaps even whizzed! So my question: Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible that a chemical or substance can be applied to a coin that when exposed to air gradually either degrades or dissolves revealing the true surface? I know the holders are not air tight but are also not exactly letting copious amounts of air in either. Any ideas? Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Best Answer
    It's pretty common actually, typically due to a change in lighting, whether intentional or unintentional.

A lot of folks simply don't realize it, aren't aware of it, but different types of light make a huge difference in what you see or don't see when you look at a coin. And what you're describing is one of the most common things - one kind of light hides things like hairlines and scratches while another kind of light makes them stand out like a neon sign.

When looking at coins, the best kind of light to use is a 75w or 100w incandescent full spectrum light bulb.

edit - as for the basic question you asked in the thread title, yes, toning can and often does cover things like evidence of a previous harsh/improper cleaning. But given what you described, that isn't what happened.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello ! Do you have Pics for us ? Just makes it easier to see what your talking about. Copper , Silver, Gold perhaps ?

Arcane76 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

Best Answer
    It's pretty common actually, typically due to a change in lighting, whether intentional or unintentional.

A lot of folks simply don't realize it, aren't aware of it, but different types of light make a huge difference in what you see or don't see when you look at a coin. And what you're describing is one of the most common things - one kind of light hides things like hairlines and scratches while another kind of light makes them stand out like a neon sign.

When looking at coins, the best kind of light to use is a 75w or 100w incandescent full spectrum light bulb.

edit - as for the basic question you asked in the thread title, yes, toning can and often does cover things like evidence of a previous harsh/improper cleaning. But given what you described, that isn't what happened.

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

That's one of several reasons I do not send my coins to any TPG's, just my opinion. Good luck.

Arcane76 and offa the saxon like this.
  7. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Well, you're not hurting or otherwise compromising any value by cracking a "details" coin from its slab. So from there, I've done the same thing, if more to try and find the devil in/of the "details"...and/or get a better look at whatever it was...and re-submitted for a straight grade. It's one thing to one TPG/grader(s) one day and another to/on another. On the exposure thing, agree about exposure to various lighting and environment...can greatly change/accelerate/expose/mask certain toning/color/cleaning on coins. If you had put the coin in a flip or other snap-tight holder rather than just in the open with other coins, likely may have not been so radical, if much at all. Because of getting ready to auction, I've had a larger number of my coins out of their cool/dry/dark file cabinet for a longer time than usual (hardly ever for more than a few minutes each) and am already noticing some changes in just a few weeks.

Arcane76 likes this.
  8. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Coins can change in a slab. I have a few that were straight graded but, after a few years they became dark. The coins were probably chemically cleaned to make them look good to the graders and over time because they weren't properly rinsed the chemical that remained on the coin turned them dark.

There is something I learned the hard way buying coins at a show and that is the lighting sucks and sometimes the coins look better under the lights at the show. Then when you look at them at home you wonder why did I buy this coin. Now I carry my own hand held when I go to a show. I use it mostly on raw coins or coins tend to be messed with the most.

Back to the original question. As far as messing around with a coin to get it straight graded. That's a tough one. I know some do get by but, most don't. Artificial toning would the most likely thing to get by. You really can't hide hairlines or repairs. Those are things they really look for. Even artificial toning will get caught after a while. A lot of times the coin may even have a chemical odder to it when submitted.

It's hard to hide hair lines from cleaning. However, many coins do end up in straight graded slabs that do show some signs of cleaning. Generally, these are older coins like bust coinage and some seated liberty coins. Bust and seated dollars tend to get a pass for light cleaning. I collect seated dollars and a large percentage of the straight graded coins have been lightly cleaned.

Arcane76 and Cheech9712 like this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hail Doug. Your smooth

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Arcane76

Arcane76 Well-Known Member

Sorry had busy few work days.
    @SensibleSal66 sorry I can’t get a good picture of it. However I think the others answered my questions thank you though

@GDJMSP I used the same light when I cracked it out and then looked at it again. It is possible I just missed it the first time, but it is so prevalent that I felt there could have been a film for lack of a better word that dissolved as far fetched as that is .

@Mr.Q I usually don’t use TPGs, in fact I will never send them anything again unless it’s over 5000.00 coin(which I’ll probably never have). Short of that never again. I have found if I send in a coin it gets no grade or less than I and others have thought. It’s funny though it seems big time auction houses or dealers seem to have a “special” grading system. What I mean is I have bought straight graded coins that had massive scratches/ harsh cleaning etc. if I sent it in it would be details, if they send it it appears to be straight graded. Rant over lol

@Mac McDonald : It is funny that it seems the coins I don’t want to tone more are the ones that are quickly changed by the environment, and the ones I wish would tone faster never seem to change.

@1865King : Good points. I also bring my own light to show and usually it picks up the bad, or at least makes the coin look probably worse than it would normally. I like using it so I’m not disappointed later. I didn’t have it with me this time unfortunately. But did use it when I looked at it later and it seemed ok. Go figure. Some of my coins remind me of the Seinfeld episode with good vs bad lighting

11. GDJMSP

Understand, but there isn't.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually, evaporated might be better.

Draft saved Draft deleted