Is there a way to constrict the spaces in a coin folder?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mad Stax, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I'm creating this thread because I have a 20th century type set folder, and I upgraded a slot. Problem is, apparently coin A had a wider diameter than coin B so coin B insists on falling out of its enclosure. I was hoping the slot would naturally constrict on its own, but I've come to the conclusion that that will not happen.
    If anyone more creative than myself has a solution to this (admittedly trivial) issue feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. If not, I'll just hafta deal with it for the time being. :banghead::grumpy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

So I guess that means that your type set folder is not one that has the plastic sliders that cover the coins.
    If that's correct my suggestion would be to upgrade your folder to a newer model.

Mad Stax likes this.
  4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You could use a foam ring as an insert. Something like the rings that come with ring air tites. You'd just need to find the right size.

serafino and Mad Stax like this.
  5. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Thanks kanga , it's the old Littleton $3.50 special ;), decent little folder for the price. I will definitely upgrade at some point, right now my main concern is filling it though, still need a SLQ and a Morgan.
    Thanks Jaelus, I'll Google 'foam ring insert' and see what comes up.
    It's not as big a deal as I make it out to be, just the little things like that that 'really grind my gears' as a wise man once said... Oh wait, Peter Griffin said that, nevermind.

6. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

You could try hitting the area around the hole with something flat. (Hammer heads usually are convex.) This would squash the fibers, moving them into the over sized hole.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've also put a scrap of thin paper over the hole, pressed the coin through that, and then torn off the surrounding exposed tissue. That was after I learned not to tape coins, but before I grew up and could afford slider albums. :)

(I still get the press-fit albums from time to time in eBay lots, and the tissue-paper trick still works sometimes. Especially important if you're trying to put in slick Barbers or SLQs!)

Mad Stax likes this.
  8. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

I would dampen it and add a little PH, than blow dry;)

Mad Stax likes this.
  9. MajorMatt

MajorMatt Junior Member

I cut a strip of paper or index card (if paper is not thick enough) to the thickness of the coin. Place the paper strip along the inside edge of the inset. About half of the circle is plenty. Line up the coin and press it in. Usually this provides enough filler to hold the coin in the slot.

Mad Stax and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted