Is there a safe plastic holder the size of a PCGS holder for Silver $

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Browns Fan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Don't like cardboard flips for my nice Morgans but can't find a safe plastic one that might stack with my PCGS holders. Some are close to that size, but not a fit. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I've heard the Lighthouse brand is pretty good. Try Wizard Coin Supply.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Amos (CoinWorld) sells their so-called "premium" slab-like holders that are somewhat similar to PCGS, but they're also junk. Their old "standard" (old-ANACS style) holders are vastly superior.

IanC likes this.
  6. IanC

IanC Numismatist

I'm also interested in finding good coin slabs. I have considered both Lighthouse Everslab and CoinWorld slabs. You're talking about their old "standard" holders. Where would one find these?

7. BooksB4Coins

The "old-ANACS" style standards were great, but the last I knew they seemed to be phasing them out. Towards the end they came with only black inserts iirc, but early on they came with white. Sadly, this offered an easy opportunity to screw over folks not familiar with the real deal. All one needed to do was take the label insert from an old ANACS crack out (or reuse the insert itself since they were identical) and pop it into a standard holder after removing the inside rear sticker. Said sticker would then be placed on the outside of the standard holder to cover the CW logo, and then a price or inventory sticker used to cover the small CW logo on the front. I knew a couple guys who had been burned by this exact thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure who may still have any stocked and would suggest searching around to see if you can find any. Sorry I can be of no more help.

1916D10C likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I use these, they come from China and take about a month to get.
    You can find them on eBay. 1917 HR Peace $ A.JPG

LA_Geezer and Nathan401 like this.
  9. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Thank you all!

10. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

get rid of your kicker

LA_Geezer likes this.
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

slackaction1 likes this.
  12. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

What makes them "junk?"

13. LA_Geezer

OMG!!! There's no slot in my Whitman folder for this coin! A month from China, eh?

14. I don't see the { M } mint mark on the 17 peace lol

15. BooksB4Coins

To put it simply: quality.

The old standard holders were every bit as good as a TPG slab regarding how much protection was afforded the coin inside. In fact it could be argued they were better than some, but with the benefit they could be opened if or when needed. Each side of the so-called premium holders are nowhere near as tight fitting, and in cases where the holder is dropped, chances are quite good they'll separate while exposing the coin inside to potential damage.

What it boils down to is that the build quality and overall design is comparatively poor unless they've been redesigned in recent years. If you ever have the chance to compare side by side you'll see what I mean.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Still none of these , the Coin World PCGS style, ANACS style or the NGC style that Dwhiz showed will stack with PCGS slabs. Which is what the OP wanted. The CW PCGS style would probably be the closest.

17. LA_Geezer

It might be simple enough for an entrepreneur to do a little research on the slabs that the TPGs use, discover who, then contact that manufacturer to have some made for his upstart company to sell to coin supply dealers directly. Word would soon get out and pretty soon he would have a best-seller!

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Most likely the company has a contract with PCGS to not provide those slab shells or shells of the same or similar design, to anyone else. They probably wouldn't be interested in being sued and losing the PCGS contract for millions and millions of units for someone who might want thousands of units.

20. LA_Geezer

Ah, but the entrepreneur would take a stab at this and, perhaps, even come up with something superior. Just a thought. Chevrolet once had the best selling car in the USA.

Draft saved Draft deleted