Is there a reason for....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr Roots, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

The big A on the face of this coin?

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

.....also, I just looked at a bunch of silver dollars and found this toned one....when it hits the light just right you can see lots of red and a little blue...would this be considered desirable?....sorry for the bad pic.

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yes, there is a reason, but you'll have to find the person that put it there in order to know that reason.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Countermark, in this instance, meaningless.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Treashunt is correct, it's a countermark. Who knows when or why and by whom? Doesn't matter, it's still a countermark.

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Yes, it is called counterstamping, or in numismatic terms, mutilation of a coin. Glad it wasn't an 1893s or an 1889cc.

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

With regard to your toning question, I don't think this will carry anything other than a possible small premium. It's nice, but won't excite the toning community.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I can speak for the toning community, as I have collected toned Morgans for years. Those as pictured would not be considered attractive. Morgan toner collectors want coins with either pastel, vivid (monster rainbow), or other colorful patterns that are market acceptable NT. Those have that "battleship" color that some Morgans get, and it is not considered to be a premium, as it isn't very attractive. Let one's eye for color be the guide in what toned coins look beautiful, and what ones do not look attractive. Look at my avatar to see a color pattern that many find attractive--I was lucky on that coin, as it didn't cost a lot for what is a really pretty coin in hand.

swamp yankee, Bigpoppa and JPeace$ like this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Agreed. Plus, that center morgan is circulated which indicates an old cleaning and retone. The film that produces NT requires pure surfaces to develop in most cases

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted