Is there a picture that shows the high points of Canadian coins ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spirityoda, Jun 30, 2015.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I was looking for pictures or website that shows pictures of Canadian coins highest points of the coin wear patterns ? thanks, Craig.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

thank you, but I was looking to actually see where on the coin if it was high lighted in color to show where exactly is the highest point of each coin is. ???

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

You can see that from looking at the AU examples in the grading link that Inquisitive provided :)

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I understand that but I want them highlighted to know where to look

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

something like this for high points but for Canadian coins:

US0001-Lincoln-Wheat-Design-High-Points-2.jpg
    US0005-Buffalo-Nickel-Design-High-Points-2.jpg
    US0010-Mercury-Dime-Design-High-Points.jpg
    US0100-Morgan-Dollar-Design-High-Points.jpg
    US0100-Peace-Dollar-Design-High-Points.jpg
    US0100-1979-Susan-B-Anthony-Dollar-Design-High-Points.jpg

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I guess somebody has yet to make a Canadian-coin version of Making the Grade by Beth Deisher and Michael Fahey. I'd like to make that same book, but on S. Korean coins.

Information on high-relief areas of Canadian coins has got to be around somewere.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As far as I know there's not even a website like that for US coins, let alone any others. As for books, the ANA grading book probably comes closest of any single book for showing high points, but even it doesn't show the high points for all coins, only for some of them. And they use arrows, not colors. But there may be some specialty books out there that show them for a single, specific series.

Question, does the book show actual high points of the coins, or rather does it show prime and secondary focal areas for grading purposes ?

11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

According to the description at Amazon:
    "Design high points are highlighted to indicate areas of wear. Visual impairment severity levels are identified by color maps."
    http://www.amazon.com/Making-The-Grade-Grading-Collected/dp/0944945554
    I find this book very intriguing, and makes me want to collect US stuff more often!

This is what my book shows for Seated Halves:

DSC02251.jpg

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

this is exactly what i am looking for...for Canadian coins.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ahh, so it shows both. Very good ! I see the 3rd edition now covers 80 coins instead of just the 50 most popular.

14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Time to contact the "Canadian Numismatic Association" (if that's what it's called) and ask about grading standards for Canadian coins. There HAS to be grading standards book for Canadian coins (one that has the little arrows pointing out the high points?). There are far too many Canadian collectors out there for there NOT to be.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I see I made you happy. Do I get a "Like" now?

spirityoda likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

curious as to what language is under your mlov43 nickname in your avatar ??? and what it says ???

17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

"Coin Collector" in both Korean alphabetic letters (hangul) and Chinese ideographic characters.

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

thanks

19. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    www.rcna.ca

20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I got schooled on Canada Day, to boot!

jj00 likes this.
  21. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Lol; No offense @mlov43
    I just finished reading a story in Canadian Coin News about Charles (Chuck) Moore who passed away a few weeks ago and helped get the 'Royal' added to the official name.

mlov43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted