Is there a Krause book for only Silver coins for X Period?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, May 24, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I have the "regular" one for 1900-2000, and it lists coins of all compositions. I'm mostly interested in silver and silver alloy coins. So, I thought about getting a Krause Standard Catalog of World Silver Coins, if one even exists. I Googled it and there are plenty of variations, but I don't think there's one, unless it was a limited edition, one-off, or some other obscure release.

Does anyone know? It'll help me to look through the book much quicker, with less bulk to work with. Or, maybe since it would only be silver coins, it'd be just as bulky since the period of coins would be extended (e.g. 1800 to present). Or, is there a different publication that has what I'm looking for that's similar to Krause?

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I don't know of a just silver Krause catalog

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It would be neat if Krause would come up with one. Maybe one for gold, too. It'll condense the books' size, either by the number of books needed for silver collectors, or the number of pages per book for a given period.

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It would have to be for any silver content. There are many percentages of silver out there. Where do you draw the line? At 50%? That book could become the biggest book ever printed. Beyond the complete bible or unabridged dictionary. Would you pay $100+ for it? If you said no, then your neat request is invalid.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I contest - I think it's both practical and economical, with enough market demand from the numismatic community to be a viable option for Krause's consideration.

It would be for any silver content for, say, world coins of 1901-2000. Even if it had only 1% silver, it should be included. The same would apply for a gold version (e.g. 1914 Mexico 2 Pesos Guerrero has a minute amount of only 0.595 grams of gold with a silver/silver alloy balance). Countries don't typically include such a small amount of silver in their coinage anyway. It wouldn't make much sense to mint a 1% silver coin with 99% copper, unless it was, say, a silver plated/gilt clad coin.

A hypothetical silver version would already be smaller than the current Standard Catalog of World Coins from 1901-2000 (maybe less than half its size). They could probably extend that to 1801-Present. It would be an abridged version of what Krause already has (all they'd literally have to do is search and delete through the pages on their computer file for all non-silver coins, then publish the content that's already there, and maybe add a few new things to call it a silver version - besides, how much content actually changes year to year for the 1901-2000 and other period books? Typically little to none, I bet...). And, I don't think it would get that pricey for a silver only version... It would be priced similarly to all of their other books that deviate from their normal offerings, if not cheaper (for a 1901-2000 World silver coins catalog).

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That is a lot of information you are asking Krause to provide. I'm not sure there is enough collectors even interested in that type of detail. What would you need world wide? 50,000 editions to make it lucrative? You can find it by looking up each coin now. This would be more for the lazy collector who doesn't want to research existing information.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Aren't there silver-type collectors? I see a lot in the bullion forum.

The book would be half if not less than the current size, so it'll be easier to work with while researching coins to buy (I usually have the book open while on the computer when actively buying silver coins). There will be less thumbing through pages to skip past the non-silver coins, which make up the bulk of it. And, although I'd want a longer time period, in the spirit of keeping the book smaller than it is now with the "1901-2000" version (which I own), they could simply make a "1901-Present" version, so as to make it less annoying to go and get another hulk of a book to search for silver coins falling in the "2001-Present" years (which I don't own).

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It is a marginal offering, but let's see if Krause ever comes up with one. I just don't see the demand for it. I think it's to isolated in scope.

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If Krause hasn't made one yet, I'll have to suggest it to them. They're pretty much on cruise control now, as most of their books include the same content year after year, save for adding the latest year's coins to some of their catalog books.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Krause already has 1 for gold.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nice, I didn't know that. Gold is proven, so maybe silver will be feasible, too!

Though, I'm not a gold collector, as I'm not really interested in it unless it is red gold, since I like the look of red gold.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

red gold ? that's strange to me. I like gold to look yellow. pretty much the color of Canadian maple leaf gold.

14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm referring to the gold-copper(-silver alloy), typically 18kt-22kt or about 0.750 to 0.917 fineness, with enough copper to give the gold its red color.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yeah, those are handsome coins.

The information essentially exists to do a silver-only Krause - after all, it's included in the regular versions - but it would still be a pretty sizable editorial undertaking for (by definition) a smaller audience than the "full" books. For that reason, it's unlikely a silver-only Krause would be much/any cheaper than the full issues. Why bother?

At least, that's how I'd envision their reasoning. Gold is a different animal, with a different collector demographic, justifying its' individual existence.

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

so you are talking about what I think is called black hills gold. ?

Draft saved Draft deleted