Is there a 1925-P (no mint mark) Quarter Eagle Indian gold coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for validation on this. There is no 1925 (P) listed on PCGS price guide. Am I correct in knowing that none were minted? All were 1925-D, correct?

Thanks everyone!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Hey Brett. This is all they made in '25. . .

IMG_0086.JPG

charlietig likes this.
  5. Brett_in_Sacto

Can you post the reverse of this coin? I'd like to see the mint mark. Thanks!

6. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Let me know if this works. If not, I'll post a better picture later.

IMG_0088.JPG

7. Brett_in_Sacto

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That coin looks like roadkill, so it wouldn't surprise me if the mintmark was scraped off. I see a faint outline of what looks liks a mintmark.

9. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I can't validate authenticity from photo, but the 25D mint mark is sometimes weak and even nearly invisible.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Brett_in_Sacto

Ok, yeah there are lousy pictures. I knew I didn't have a 1925 in my collection, and then it struck me that the coin shouldn't exist. :)

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

That coin has some serious damage to it, and since the mint mark is the only part of the design that is ABOVE the surface, it is worn/rubbed almost all the way off. Another interesting thing about the 1925-D (and a few other dates) is that they can have the look of once being in a bezel, as the MS63+ above looks like. You can sometimes get a great deal because people might pass up a great coin thinking it has damage.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. jwitten

Here is a MS65 example that looks like it has a ring made from being in a bezel. Some have it, some don't. I'm not really sure why.
    [​IMG]

13. TypeCoin971793

That raised lip is due to die wear, I think. Perfectly natural on genuine and problem-free Indian $2.50 and $5 coins.

14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

15. TypeCoin971793

No. It is genuine, but the surfaces and mintmark were scraped off. It is worth its weight in gold, so even if it was fake it wouldn't matter value-wise.

16. jwitten

No

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, a strong "D" is clearly visible.

:stop: IMO, Your post is nonsense :vomit: and you need to brush up on your grading skills. Professional graders way above our pay grade/skill level at one of the top two TPGS's have graded this coin ALMOST MS-64! There is nothing "scrapped off that coin with full mint luster and very few marks and great eye appeal. That is fact not opinion.

:rolleyes: See above. You :bookworm: are a collector of this series. I know this coin is not heavily discolored and very ugly; but it is not damaged. many of this date were struck with worn dies (See previous post). The die wear is chiefly around and near the rim. That's why it cuts through the area where the "D" mint mark is. The coin in the OP is genuine.

18. jwitten

Lol. Not sure you followed the thread like you should have. The original question was about this ebay coin, not about the MS63+ one.

[​IMG]

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

20. jwitten

Haha, no problem. At first I was like "Seriously? He thinks that is a MS coin?!" Then I realized you were probably talking about the MS63+ example someone posted.

21. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing this up! I didn't want to be the cause for any online fisticuffs.

green18, Brett_in_Sacto and jwitten like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted